Runners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been running now for about a year, off and on though depending when I'm busy at work, but for the past month or so I've been running on a treadmill during my lunchbreak whilst watching neighbours, so about 20-30mins/ 4kms at a steady pace.

At first this really worked for me, and I look forward to running everyday, but it really ebbs and sways as to what my run will be like when I get going. After the first 1-2kms, I get soooo bored, not necessarily tired or out of breath, just like I can't be bothered anymore.

I used to run outside quite a lot, but even with music or podcasts I still managed to get bored. Does anyone have any tips on keeping boredom at bay while your running? Maybe I should swap back to running outside again for a while? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I couldn't bear to run on the tready all the time... no wonder you get bored!

Get back outside, vary your runs... do some fartlek, do some hills, run different routes...make up the route as you go (being careful not to get lost!), run short tempo, or long slow runs... variety keeps you from getting bored, plus different music on the ipod ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
i like the treadmill for training the mind!! if you can do 10miles on a treadmill running on the road is easy. its good for when the going gets tuff in a race

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I don’t get bored when out running; probably would on a tread mill though. When I go out I don’t usually have a clue what route I will be taking or how long I’ll be out. I did something new this morning. The park I sometimes run around, through, in a figure of 8 or a zig zag in, is quite large. This morning I challenged myself to run around the inner perimeter of the park, keeping as close as possible to the fence. It wasn’t a particularly long run (25 mins) but it added another dimension to a regular running area. Tomorrow I am going to do the outer perimeter; this is a longer run as I will have to follow roads and streets.

Another challenge is to cross all the brides over the River Hull within the city boundary in one run. There is always ways of staving off the boredom. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hello BB,

How about entering yourself into a race. It could give give you a target, that coupled with the advice from Trinity and the improvement it brings, may give another purpose to your runs and therefore stem the boredom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am having fun running around on these dark nights. My usual route has an ever changing mixture of spots of light and spots of dark due to badly placed/out of order street lights. I play a game where I sprint when in the light and go at a slower pace in the dark spots. It is good fun and I think the variation is doing me good.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Are we sure that running on the treadmill is the route of the problem?

You are watching NEIGHBOURS for christs sake - no wonder you are bored!

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I don't get particularly bored when running on the road, but I can't stand the thought of running on a treadmill for an hour or so.

I'd rather watch Neighbours than run on a treadmill!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lil - Suprisingly that does sound like fun...

Thanks for all the advice guys, have been back on the treadmill and doing okay for a couple of weeks now - yes, still watching Neighbours, and fyi, Harold has left the Street to go travelling round Oz in a campervan!

Trying to up my speed a little now, but I think little and often is the way forward.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I would suggest running harder, I only ever get bored when i'm on an "easy" run.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts