Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - I was just wondering if anyone has any views on the usefulness of the Platypus handsfree?
Is it worth it buying or is it just a bit of a nuisance to have on your back while running?
I can't go running without taking water with me and I wonder if this is a good alternative to carrying a bottle?
Thanks,
ShootingStar

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hi

For a while I used a Camelbak thing which went around the waist and had a big, big curly straw sticking out of it. That worked pretty well, especially if you don't like holding something in your hand the whole time. it probably takes a little getting used to running with a bag on your back, but it could be good :)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I've not seen or heard of said platypus... but I assume it's some kind of hydration back-pack type thing?

I've got a camelback flashflo sitting in my wardrobe that I simply don't use. I used it probably twice but just didn't get on with it. I reckon something that strapped to my back (rather than waist) would be more comfortable, but in all honesty I'd probably end up just carrying a bottle instead and swapping hands from time to time, lol.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
ShootingStar said:
I can't go running without taking water with me and I wonder if this is a good alternative to carrying a bottle?
Thanks,
ShootingStar
Why can't you go running without taking water with you?:(
How far are you running?
How long are you running for?
How much do you drink whilst running?

·
Registered
44 Posts
How about just filing a water bottle with water and hiding it somewhere en route the day before?

I think the platypus type things are popular with mountain bikers who dont want a mud splattererd bottle top

Personally, I would hate something on my back

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
There's been a lot of hype regarding hydration/re-hydration, resulting in a lot of people being erm, scared (?) to go for even the shortest of runs without taking a drink with them. In all but the most extreme of circumstances (very hot weather; very long runs etc), this extra baggage is just not necessary... And in some instances can actually be detrimental to a run......... View attachment 381

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I've never taken water with me on a run. I usually drink a pint before I leave for my run, and that's usually sufficient. I think that at least up to 13 miles it is unnecessary t take water as long as you load up beforehand. There should be no risk of serious dehydration. I once ran 14 miles, and the last mile I did feel my mouth was a little too dry, but I certainly wasn't dehydrating to a risky level. And I do tend to sweat a lot when I run. I think people do worry unnecessarily about dehydration. Unless it is really warm out, you should be able to run for up to 2 hours without taking any water on route, but you do need to drink plenty of water before your run. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
pedestrian said:
Why can't you go running without taking water with you?:(
How far are you running?
How long are you running for?
How much do you drink whilst running?
Thanks so much for all your advice everyone - very helpful.

I don't take water with me because i feel like i'm about to keel over with dehydration and I certainly don't worry about it, I simply get thirsty whenever i'm doing any sort of exersise and i'm just in the habit of always having water with me.
Pedestrian - I run about 7-10k generally and i usually just take 50cl bottle with me which does me fine.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I use a hydration rucksack type thing when out running. I find it comes in handy over 5 miles just to keep the mouth wet and wash away the flies I catch! I also can't stand carrying a water bottle in my hand. The one downside to the hydration pack is I need to take my I-pod with me as the sound of the water sloshing around in it drives me mad!

Squint

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Squint said:
I use a hydration rucksack type thing when out running. I find it comes in handy over 5 miles just to keep the mouth wet and wash away the flies I catch! I also can't stand carrying a water bottle in my hand. The one downside to the hydration pack is I need to take my I-pod with me as the sound of the water sloshing around in it drives me mad!

Squint
Haha, I can imagine! thanks Squint... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts