Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , I've got a place at next years London marathon tho the charity MIND . I choose MIND as a charity to run for in memory of my mother in law .
Alison my mother in law lost her battle with depression last October leaving behind 4 daughters and 3 wonderful grandchildren .
Here's the plan :)
Do a couple of training runs a week till December then follow a 20 week marathon training plan . Since the death of Alison ive also picked up the bad habit of smoking and not running again ,so it time for a change .
I'll update here each week on my mileage and how I'm feeling and stuff , it's gonna help come the New Year .
All advise and encouragement very welcome :) also if anyone wants to sponsor me no matter how small , me and mind very much appreciate it . http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/StephenSmith40

Atb Stephen
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/StephenSmith40

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi all , weekly update :)
Tuesday 6.72 miles
Saturday 8.78 miles
Total for week 15.5 miles

Im still smoking but I did manage 2 days completely sober which is good for me , as I'm a daily drinker . Not a lot but do drink every evening .
Have a nice weekend people and happy jogging ;)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Good luck Stephen! You are doing great!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't have a lot of time on Tuesday so thought I'd do a short quicker tempo run . So I did 3.69 miles at a minute a mile quicker than marathon pace .
Also popped to the printers on the way home from work yesterday to pick up my mind running top .

So today is Saturday and I'll be hitting the pavements again . See you for now #run4alison

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did a very cold and wet 10 miler this morning :)
Also got out on Wednesday for a little 3.69 miles .
This was the first time since the leeds half in May that I've run double figures .

Wasn't to happy to be in the rain after the kids football training in the rain last night .

Cheers for this week :)
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/StephenSmith40

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got out and did 6 miles last night , felt good as I've only been doing around 3-4 miles on a Tuesday evening .
I'd also like to thank @jayneee for her donation , I'll be right back at you in the next couple of weeks so thanks Hun .
On the subject of fundraising , my wife put a status on her fb page and got me over a £130 in 1 night . She's a star and doesn't really like taking about her mum . Total on viginmoney page is £370 and I have about £130 in sponsors still to collect , so total is around £500 mark , still a long way to go to reach the £1750 mind has asked for .
Also my toes popped out my running shoes , time for a new pair I think . They have served me well over the last 2 years doing in the region of a 1000 miles :)

Good job it's my birthday in 18days , roll on the saucony guide 7s a nice upgrade from my guide 4s

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good luck Stephen, keep plugging away churning the miles out. I'll be doing the London mara as well so I'll keep an eye on your training to inspire me!! I am also a social smoker which I also need to kick !!
All the best.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good luck Stephen, keep plugging away churning the miles out. I'll be doing the London mara as well so I'll keep an eye on your training to inspire me!! I am also a social smoker which I also need to kick !!

All the best.

Hi @TB are you running for a charity or did you get spot yourself . Is this your first marathon it is mine ?
Also knocking the cigs on the head is a good idea , I was looking back tho my garmin history last night , back in 2012 I was doing over 30 miles a week which I need to get back to .
How many miles are you doing a week now , Atb mate and keep me posted on how you are doing

·
Registered
57 Posts
I done two mara's last year, Kielder then York two weeks later. Said I would never do another, unless I got a place at London which I never expected, sure enough, first ballot I got a place !! Lucky eh!! I'll be doing it for a local charity when I pick one. Good thing last year was the summer was for training and I had plenty time off work, this time will be more difficult to get out and train through winter and dark nights. At the moment I am doing intervals at 6ish miles, tempo at 6ish, then a long run which at moment is only 10miles but I plan to step that up through winter. Maybe a weights session once a week to keep a bit up top. I only average about 5 or 6 cigs when I am out once a week so not too bad but should quit altogether.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all went out yesterday and did a 11 mile run , took me 1h42 which is the same time I did the mablerhorpe half in , back in October 2012 .
Also got a message off a old friend on Facebook yesterday to go for a run today , so went and did a 5 miler with him .
It was nice to catch up and have a little company on a run .
So this week I've done 6 miles Tuesday , 11 miles Saturday and 5 miles today . Week total 22 miles .
My virgin money page has gone up from £200 last Sunday to £460 today , big thanks to my wonderful wife for helping me with this bit .
Anyway that's me done for a few days , happy running
#run4alison

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So far the fundraising has consisted of badgering people for sponsors so not to bad .
Sorting out a charity night for the new year , got a band sorted and some raffle prizes , it's a lot mind have asked for but I'm confident of getting very close or over the £1750 .
Thanks for stopping in chairmandavey .
#run4alison

·
Registered
869 Posts
That is what puts me off running for charity, it's a huge amount to raise and you have to raise it or pay it yourself!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have to pay them half before the marathon and the rest after bit late by then as I'd run the race .
I'm sure I'll crack the amount , but if not I can't afford to make it up . I spoke to mind b4 I accepted the place and said I may not make the full amount and they said as long as I'm not to far off it would be fine .
After all it's all for charity , I'd just have to do a ultra off my own back and hope I can raise the rest .

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Off I went this afternoon , thought I've got 2 hours lets see what I can do . Well did 13.71 miles , a lot less than my half pb . But great for a training run for me , normally a right plodder . So that is my longest run on my garmin now .
Having a week off running next week as I'm going for the ️ ohchhhhh
As its my birthday next Sunday the wife has upgraded my saucony guide 4s for some guide 7s . Can't wait for my balls to be repaired and my new running shoes .
Btw my fund raising is above £600 now :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts