Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suffer from a stich every now and then it just comes on me any gets very painful anyone got any advice :confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
While you're running, bend over quickly as if you're trying to touch your toes. Do this 3 times and it should help.

But beware - watch out for pedestrians, dogs, poles etc that you may bang into!

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you get a stitch on your right side (which is most common) slow down for 30 seconds or and exhale forcefully each time your left foot hits the ground. If the stitch is on the left, exhale hard when your right foot lands. Alternatively, run with your hands on top of your head and your elbows back while you breathe deeply from your abdomen - looks silly but works!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
yeh lots of techniques that work with varying success for various people!

change of pace, tensing that area (like someone is about to hit you), bending over or alternatively stretching the area, changing the synch of your breathing & footfall.

i suffered from stitches quite badly early on when i was just doing running & duathlon, when i started swim training for tri it built my core stability alot and i don't get it as often or as bad now.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
If you are just starting out Paul, I found that I use to suffer reasonably frequently but it improved as I continued to run (over time)

All the best with the training !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts