Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that as I've increased the run/jog element of my training and reduced the walking, my shoulders and upper back are feeling it more and more.

I had whiplash last summer (falling up the stairs at work, don't ask :embarrassed: ) and running seems to be making the symptoms come back. It's definitely worse after treadmill sessions (less enjoyment = less relaxed = tense muscles = sore muscles, I'm pretty sure) but it's noticeable all the time.

I have a few stretches in my repertoire which ease the stiffness a little, but I'd rather find a way to stop myself seizing up in the first place.

I'm wondering if improving my core muscles would help, but I'm not sure it would - I know that's great for lower back, but not sure how it would help upper back/shoulders.

Any suggestions?

BPC

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
No suggestions but I too suffer from stiff shoulders and a sore neck after medium to long distance runs...I have taken to taking a paracetamol tablet before running as a preventative measure...not that I would suggest you do the same.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve. I take a couple of ibuprofen after a run, but I take far too many painkillers generally (I get a lot of headaches too) so I'd rather avoid them if I can. At least I tend to take paracetamol for headaches, so I'm varying my drugs :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
They aren't cheap...and can make you wince... but tend to do a good job.

Keep us informed.

PS........
100 metres is a very long way!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts