Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh man I was attacked by 'the stitch' today. It's only the second week of my running life and I'm still running and walking but each little run brings on a stitch. Boo :(
What causes this and what can I do to prevent or ease it?
Thanks guys x

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
from my reading no-one seams to know properly..

it does get easier as fitness gets better.. personally i find that while running if i stamp for the next three strides on the side that hurts it seams to get better

also.. someone suggested that its a case of stomach and muscles fighting for blood flow, and its best to either speed up or slow down not sure about this one

·
Registered
693 Posts
I occassionally get a stitch when running, in fact I had one last night towards the end of my run. I've found that pulling my tummy muscles in as hard as I can usually helps it go.

·
Registered
943 Posts
When I first started running I didn't get any stitches, then a short time ago I was getting a stitch every time I went out. I figured out it was a combination of a) setting out too fast and b) posture. If I slouch I get a stitch, but if I straighten up (but not back!) I seem to be okay. Starting out slow and getting faster worked for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it's what ever works for you. I'll give those things a go next time I'm in the grip. Thanks guys

·
Registered
378 Posts
I read that as Snitch Attack. :lol:
Too much Harry Potter me thinks.

Like Hrun I find I get less the more weight I drop and the fitter I get.
Also I find it helps to slow down a little.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I get a frustrating stitch quite a lot when I'm running at my fastest pace. I would have to agree though it would seem that the fitter you become in trying to reach and maintain your target pace it does get easier if you fight through it regularly. It always seems to happen to me at the same approximate point at 2-3 miles and it will disappear after a mile or so if I push on. Moreso recently, it's been happening during 5K time trials so I intend to have a longer warm up in furure and see if that helps. there is also the opinion that eating and drinking prior to running can also be the culprit.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I used to get them loads when I first started running. Not so much now. I tend to just keep going and it goes after 5-10 mins. Slowing down definately helps but sometimes I don't want to slow down!! I sometimes get them quite badly running downhill because I tend to run fast.

I agree with the others though, you get them less as you get fitter and you also get better at just running through them:cool:

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I used to suffer them, I found as I felt one coming on that breathing in deeply through my nose for 4 strides and out for 4 help ward it off. If i was too late with that slow to a walk hands hands on head elbows out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't get them very often, but when I do I sort of breath out with my lips closed (difficult to explain).

I read that stitches are cramp in the diaphragm and to get rid of them you need to increase resistance as you breathe out (so that you stretch your diaphragm). The way to do this is to breathe out through a loosely closed mouth, so that you have to breath out harder (making a funny noise). You feel like an idiot doing it, but it usually works.

If the stitch is really bad, I sometimes have to slow down (which at my speed means walking!)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i got stich last night in a race after 6k.. it was a 10k race and i was doing well timewise so didnt want to stop... i ended up speeding up and it went pretty quickly

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
For me there is no rhyme or reason to it, I could be running slow or fast and I still get them, normally start around the 2-3 mile mark and can sometimes last for a good few miles, I can manage the pain if I run slowly and wait for it to pass.

I can go for weeks without getting them and then I will go through a spate of having them, I have tried to work out why I get them but nothing makes sense.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
It would be intereting to see if the fit runners on here suffer in the same way?

Anyone? Let us know even if you no longer suffer.
I never normally get a stitch but at about mile 4 or 5 of last Sundays 10 mile race I got the stitch from hell.. it was so painful that I started to feel dizzy.

But I was racing so I couldn't slow down, and eventually it subsided

1 - 15 of 15 Posts