Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am no stranger to running with a lot of my training being done at Uni in Nottingham around a circuit of about 4.5 miles. I do this in about 37mins, not sure if this if good or bad? Anyway can anyone tell me why I get strange abdominal pains at the end of the run, it almost feels like I need the toilet (not in a good way! lol). Do I have the wrong diet? the wrong running technique? I really want to get this sorted out so I can run further and for longer. Cheers

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
Welcome to the forum Gavin

GavinFowler said:
I am no stranger to running with a lot of my training being done at Uni in Nottingham around a circuit of about 4.5 miles. I do this in about 37mins
Thats a decent time, of course if you want to get faster there's plenty of advice in the training section of the forum.

GavinFowler said:
Anyway can anyone tell me why I get strange abdominal pains at the end of the run, it almost feels like I need the toilet (not in a good way! lol). Do I have the wrong diet? the wrong running technique? I really want to get this sorted out so I can run further and for longer. Cheers
Hard to give a definitive answer but do you leave a few hours before eating and running? Are you taking on enough liquids before hand? Dehydration can sometimes lead to stomach cramps (like Beckham had at the match on Sunday).

·
Registered
244 Posts
GavinFowler said:
Hi, I am no stranger to running with a lot of my training being done at Uni in Nottingham around a circuit of about 4.5 miles. I do this in about 37mins, not sure if this if good or bad? Anyway can anyone tell me why I get strange abdominal pains at the end of the run, it almost feels like I need the toilet (not in a good way! lol). Do I have the wrong diet? the wrong running technique? I really want to get this sorted out so I can run further and for longer. Cheers
Hi Gavin, can't help with your problem really. But I've answered your other question in training.

If you get bored of your usual 4.5 mile route, my club are on the edge of Nottingham. Long Eaton RC. We train on Tuedays and Thursdays 6.30pm meet for warm up (optional) with 7pm run start. It's a West Park leisure centre in Long Eaton.

We aren't meeting this week or next as there's a local race series on those nights this week and next which most of the club run, after that normal service will be resumed!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I too suffer from thsi problem now & again. It seems to be related to when I train at speed & my poor old stomach muscles have to work hard to keep my knees lifting. Trained hard with the club on Wednesday, last night & this morning am suffereing abdominal cramps exactly as you describe them.

Used to get this problem also when I started hill training in the winter.

So I guess its a case of working hard on your deep seated stomch muscles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts