Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First the history- I went over on my left ankle twice in a short space of time just over twelve months ago. Since then I have had intermittent ankle pain. I have recently upped my training for a half marathon and this week did an easy six miles followed yesterday by another easy 2.5 miles. About half way round my ankle started to hurt but I managed to struggle home. Since then I can bear weight on the ball of my foot but cannot put too much weight on the heal. The pain is around the top side of my ankle mainly the outside. I have done RICE which has improved things a bit. Any ideas? When can I run again? I am a reasonably fit 44 year old- please help

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mark1209 said:
sorry forgot to say, no swelling or bruising and I still have full mobility of the joint
:rolleyes: Have visited sports Dr and my solution may apply to others with similar niggles. I have gone over on my ankle a few times which appear to have damaged the ligaments. This means the muscles work overtime to compensate and, in my case, have had enough. The solution is rest and something as simple as a wobble board to help strengthen the ankle. Also recommends ice packs after every run for a while. Hope it works- first half marathon in two weeks!!

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Hi mark it looks as though your original post has passed eveyone by !!

We weren't ignoring you honest:embarrassed:

Good luck with the half let us know how you get on

take it easy

Cheriton

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i think it would be insane to do a half marathon if you have ligament damage...

if you are worried about your fitness then even with the injury then you can still swim and do light gym workouts - (cross-train, cycle, row) but you need a decent break from running if you have an ankle injury...

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I turned my ankle a month ago.

Did try a couple of runs during the week after,but gave up and rested it for 10 days before I ran a half Marathon last Sunday.

Ran the half in a PB with the help of a few painkillers.

But the pay off was that I could hardly walk on Monday.

My guess would be that I`ve put my recovery back around 2 weeks,and I don`t regret running it.

Hope it all comes together for you in 2 weeks time.

All the best.

Dave.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Sunday evening probably didn`t help Steve........ beer.gif ............:d

1 - 12 of 12 Posts