Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other thread thats running at the moment regarding unusual places to run sort of led me to this.

What is the strangest circumstance that you've found yourself in while out on your everyday run?

Recently while out on a tempo run through my always fairly quiet country park.A woman deliberately stepped in front of my path and asked me whether I could spare a minute as she was conducting a survey!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Normally on the floor, sometimes a bit of a clumsy runner and have fallen over on the flat in completely dry weather not only once but twice and the second time was about 30 yards from my house thank god it was dark, it was my only saving grace, just thought I would share the shame :embarrassed:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I ran into a goose, but to be fair it should have seen me coming. It's lucky I wasn't a fox :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I tried to get him down, failed and so ran back to car for phone. Called police and ambulance. I waited for them to arrive before showing them where to go. I've seen some fairly horrendous things before as a coastguard but this shook me right up.

Dave

·
Registered
334 Posts
I ran into a man dressed as a woman one Sunday, he was all dressed in his Sunday best as if going to church, nice skirt, blouse, jacket, gloves and bag, high heels, bright red lipstick and bright pink cheeks!!! i remember noticing how hairey his legs were!!!!
I just put my head down and ran a bit faster.......The worlds a strange place, or as my grandmother used to say 'its not the world that's strange its the people in it' it takes all kinds I suppose...........

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nellie said:
I ran into a man dressed as a woman one Sunday, he was all dressed in his Sunday best as if going to church, nice skirt, blouse, jacket, gloves and bag, high heels, bright red lipstick and bright pink cheeks!!! i remember noticing how hairey his legs were!!!!
I just put my head down and ran a bit faster.......The worlds a strange place, or as my grandmother used to say 'its not the world that's strange its the people in it' it takes all kinds I suppose...........
Na that could have been me after a stag night:eek:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Nellie said:
Did he/she say "I'm a ladeeee you know" :d

I ran into an unlit man hole once (no comments please!)... got a very apologetic letter from the council after i'd complained.

A couple of years ago, while on holiday in the US I went for a 13 mile run in 90 degree heat, ran out of water sooner than I'd predicted so had to stop at a police checkpoint and ask to fill up my water bottle. They allowed me to but I had to take off my garmin, gel belt and everything cept what I was wearing to pass their security procedures before they would let me have some water.

·
Registered
334 Posts
no words were exchanged...i didn't make eye contact...just ran a bit faster, in fact I think thats the one and only time I have really pushed myself...maybe i should go out on the same route every Sunday and if I bump into him my time may at last start getting faster!!!ha ha

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Only thing I can recall like this is when I first started out, I saw a dog owner in the distance and decided he would be the 'target' to catch, needless to say I caught him and as soon as I got level he started jogging as well. I should add at this point I have been as embarrased as I could be, he started to get away from me, this would not normally have been too embarrassing but for the fact that the dog in question was a sausage dog !!

The shame !! :embarrassed: :mad:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I once saw a bloke working on his allotment wearing nothing but a pair of wellies!!:eek:

(Yes, it's sad I know. :embarrassed: I'm going through resurrecting old threads. It's either this or wrapping christmas presents!) :d

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
pedestrian said:
(Yes, it's sad I know. :embarrassed: I'm going through resurrecting old threads. It's either this or wrapping christmas presents!) :d
haha good on you :d

I have killed a bird on the run :confused:
I have had a CLOSE encounter with an elk in Norway!
Another with a wolf in Poland.
I almost ran over a fox in Cornwall :d

I have run over a car here in Lisbon (probably my most embarassing running moment ever).

I have been blown out of the road by a storm in Shetland.

just a few I remember now...

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Fulmar said:
haha good on you :d

I have killed a bird on the run :confused:
Yeah, I've had the "bird flying under the foot" one as well. :(
Once came over the brow of a hill into the teeth of a gale and was lifted off my feet, suspended for a second, and then deposited a couple of feet backwards. Still in an upright stance. Free fall? weird.:huh:

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Nothing quite so interesting for me I'm afraid! best I can do in when out on a long run seeing a pheasant get hit by a speeding car about 10m away... the poor bird was sent soaring about 40m and spiralled like a fighter plane all the way to the ground. I couldn't believe how big a cloud of feathers the impact left!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts