Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a run (13.1miles) on Monday night and I really enjoyed it, struggled up some hills but still got it done in under the 2 hour mark which I was pleased with, last night I had a meeting with the running club and I had decided to take it easy, maybe a slow 5 miler or something like that. To my suprise after about 2.5 miles my legs eased up and I was flying along with 2 others, slowed on a huge incline but soon caugtht them up again on the down hill section. Ended up doing 7.7 miles in 1 hour 8mins so was pretty happy with that considering my long run the day before.

Strange how your body managed to suprise you sometimes like that. Just when you think you have done a big run so you should take it easy it says, na, stuff that! Lets go for a 7mile run :)

Anyone else find this while out training?

O.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yes I have - then find it can catch up with you next time if you're not careful ;)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I've had the odd surprisingly good run here and there - and they're such a great feeling! Though it's the same unpredictability of the body that makes you have bad runs when you feel you should be running strong! :lol:

Just remember this post next time your bad run comes around - sounds like you're making fantastic progress lately though Owain!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Progress is coming along very well indeed and I have to say, its the club running thats doing it for me just now. You go out in the middle of the pack and if you feel good you keep up with the front, (not managed this yet! :) These guys and gals are fast!). If you feel OK you stay in the middle (more my kind of speed just now) or if you need to slow down you can move to the back, running with others really does push you on though. I reckon if I had gone out on my own last night, the first hill I hit I would have stopped but instead I was determined to get up the hill and keep up with the middle group and not let back group catch me :) Its like a mini-race every Tuesday night, well, in my head it is, in reality its a great bunch of fellow runners all having an enjoyable run around the town.

I think the other thing thats helping my running just now is I know I have some races coming up so want to be at my best for them and I will be wearing the club vest so don't want to let the club down with a poor result....sounds stupid because I am sure they dont care.

O.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yesterday they will a bit sore but today they feel not too bad at all, I reckon tomorrow will be the dead legs day :)

Hrun, my running Mojo has never been so good, really enjoying it and looking forward to seing how the training is helping my 10k time at the end of next month.

O.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh boy! oh boy oh boy!
Well my high milage start to the week kicked in tonight! Doing hill work tonight and after the first 2 reps of going up the hill I felt dead. My legs were heavy, my arms were sore. I just couldnt give any more! Looking forward to a couple of days of rest I think, just shows you, your body fools you in to thinking you can keep on going and then you listen to it, hit the hill and die! Bloomin body! :)

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It's all beneficial though O! I believe the most useful sessions to help runners improve are those where you keep on pushing hard while your legs feel heavy and you lack energy - even though your actual pace is slower than you'd like!

Take it easy for a couple of days and get back on the job :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was a good session and I agree Richard thats all beneficial but last night I was tough, I enjoy the speed work and hill training although we our out for less time you really feel like you have worked for it. Saying that, I couldnt get out my bed this morning I was that tired :)

Take today off, maybe go to Aldi get some new clothing and maybe also go in to my local running shop and get some new shoes....really fancy getting back to New Balance and away from Nike....

O.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont really need new shoes but I like having two pairs so I can rotate them now the weather is getting wetter. My first pair have become my every day shoes and my Nikes are starting to make funny sounds!
I might buy a pair from the shop and then go online and try and find a cheaper pair of the same model :) Like to support my local shop but can't afford to pay full price for 2 pairs in one go, even with my discount.

O.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts