Runners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very new to running and just wondering if this is normal. I find when I run, after a while I get a strange sort of... metalic taste at the back of my throat that doesn't go away for a long time after I stop. Is this normal, or am I running too fast too soon or something ^^; thanks!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Do you notice alot of Chemtrail spraying around your area? :)

:p

It has been said that when some people are suffering from anxiety they experience this, so perhaps something to do with the increased blood flow and vessels near the surface of your throat / mouth ?? Just a wild guess of course.........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've taken to drinking peach water lol it's just a little less dull than normal water. I probably don't drink as much as I should while running, and this 26C weather isn't helping much either.
I was just concerned because I don't get the taste when I lightly jog.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I used to get this after running too. I agree with Owain about possible dehydration, and would suggest making sure you drink enough liquid after your run. I'd also suggest taking a drink with you on your long runs.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My husband used to get it. He says that you need to take fluid out with you. He was told its where you're not producing enough saliva because you're dehydrated. If you smoke it makes the problem worse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buns of steel? In my throat!? O,O!! That's enough to make me stop lol. I've had to put running on hold for the last 3 days >< The damn heat/humidity is sapping my energy before I even do anything and I'm starting to worry about losing any progress I may have made... Of course it would be easier to measure progress if I could understand what my treadmill was saying to me on its evil screen.

I imagine the 'Distance' read out is in Kilometers since the speed thing is. What is the normal distance a newbie runner should be running? I think I managed 2 kilometers in half an hour, slow huh? ><

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Put some tape over the distance reading. Worst thing you can do is get obsessed with speed and distance early on. That is where most of the "I have hurt myself threads" come from.

Just run/walk as often or as long as you feel comfortable.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I imagine the 'Distance' read out is in Kilometers since the speed thing is. What is the normal distance a newbie runner should be running? I think I managed 2 kilometers in half an hour, slow huh? ><
It may be 2 miles in 1/2 an hour. My first run it took me 27 minutes to run 2.1 miles and I am as fat and slow as anyone. I would imagine it would be difficult to run 2 km in half an hour without falling off the back of the treadmill :rolleyes:

Well done for running for half an hour on your first go though. As Hrun says, don't push it:push:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bah! As I feared, taking a break from running during the hot weather has messed up any progress I made. I was running for ~15 minutes at 9.0 km/h before (~5 mp/h) and now I can just manage 6 :/ Oh wells.

This time I plan to run for an extra minute each day, and if I feel I can't manage it just run the same amount as the day before. Yesterday I ran 5 minutes, today 6... So hopefully tomorrow 7 etc etc. :3 I hate Mr. Sun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol I never give up, its a major flaw in my personality =P Even if somethings not possible I don't give up.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Try approaching it another way.

Walk for 30 minutes every day! I don't care how fast.

Every other day run (at a sensible speed) for one minute out of every 5 for the 30 minutes. No more!

After a week and once you can do this increase the run time to two minutes out of every 5.

Continue this until you can run for 30 minutes continuously. Only then do you think about increasing the speed.

This is how I did it and can now run for 12 miles in two hours.

·
Registered
693 Posts
That sounds like a very sensible way to build your running up Hrun, I did something similar when I started and can jog for a good 10 minutes a time easily now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Try approaching it another way.

Walk for 30 minutes every day! I don't care how fast.

Every other day run (at a sensible speed) for one minute out of every 5 for the 30 minutes. No more!

After a week and once you can do this increase the run time to two minutes out of every 5.

Continue this until you can run for 30 minutes continuously. Only then do you think about increasing the speed.

This is how I did it and can now run for 12 miles in two hours.
I do my stuffs on a treadmill atm, still not confident enough to run outside ><. So your saying walk for 30 minutes everyday... thats easy, im a compulsive pacer and pace up and down for more than 3 hours each day, and thats before I use my treadmill :p

My treadmill goes from 1.0 to 10.0 km/h. 1.0 is practically crawling speed, I dont really need to 'run' until 9.0. So I should run for 1 minute at 9.0, walk for 4 minutes at say.. 5.0, then repeat for 30 minutes?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I do my stuffs on a treadmill atm, still not confident enough to run outside ><. So your saying walk for 30 minutes everyday... thats easy, im a compulsive pacer and pace up and down for more than 3 hours each day, and thats before I use my treadmill :p

My treadmill goes from 1.0 to 10.0 km/h. 1.0 is practically crawling speed, I dont really need to 'run' until 9.0. So I should run for 1 minute at 9.0, walk for 4 minutes at say.. 5.0, then repeat for 30 minutes?
I started on a treadmill for the same reasons. If those are speeds you are comfy with then yes. I started by using some quick buttons the treadmill has.

The reason for a 30 min time is as it is easy to overdo it when you start out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did this today, 4 mins walking, one minute running. Did it for 32 minutes since I have to put the speed up manually so the extra 2 minutes is me fiddling with buttons lol. I'm gonna mark my weight too... been hovering around 79 Kg for months now, curious as to if it will move now I've started exercising. Personally I don't care about my weight <.< if only I didn't look so marshmellow-y

1 - 19 of 19 Posts