Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I use Strava to record my runs even though i have a Garmin watch and it records on Connect.

I'm still relatively new to running, run on my own and prefer it that way - but i like how others can see my runs, and me see theirs. It sometimes gives me the kick up the backside i need to get out there when i see the data from others, but also i feel good when others acknowledge my runs with kudos..... saying all that i have less than half a dozen followers lol

So, i get the message that premium has changed the Summit. I couldn't see the benefit of premium to be honest, as the basic Strava did all i wanted and more with the PR's and segments.

Just wondered what others thought of Summit and if they are thinking of upgrading, or those on premium now thinking of not wanting to renew to Summit?

Sorry, another question - is it ok to just follow someone on Strava? Just i look at the segments and can see other runners in my area with around the same time, so am interested in how they get on, if they still run - but don't know if it's frowned upon for someone to just start following you - i don't think there is a way to explain with a message that i'm local and just generally interested?

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I've never been bothered by the subscriber features but I was looking at the the details of a friends Strava activity (race) and because of the Summit changes, I can't see the race analysis anymore unless I subscribe as well (he's a subscriber already) so I started looking at the features again last night.
The features are broken down into three sections (https://www.strava.com/summit/join#pace-zone-analysis), each for about £1.50 per month so you can pick and choose the elements you want or don't want, for all it's currently £4 per month but I think the only one I'd use is the Training pack.

I think following someone on Strava when you don't know them or don't have shared friends is a bit strange. I find it a bit uncomfortable when someone wants to connect to me that I've never met before or if we don't live in the same area and don't have any shared friends.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Summit is exactly the same as premium. The only difference is that you don't have to pay for the bits you don't want, so in that way it is technically better. I do think it's bizarre that race analysis is under training and not analysis.

Different people react differently to being followed, there's no way to know until you do it. If they don't have request to follow on then it's probably fine and they can always block you if they don't like it. Personally, I only accept follow requests from people that I know who they are. e.g. friends, people I've met at races or people I know online.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I was looking at the the details of a friends Strava activity (race) and because of the Summit changes, I can't see the race analysis anymore unless I subscribe as well (he's a subscriber already) so I started looking at the features again last night.
I think they did that before the summit change. It's really annoying that it still defaults to the analysis when you click on their activity, but you can't see anything until you change to the overview tab.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,

I also see that when they say all 3 packs for £4 a month, that's only if you pay annually, if you pay monthly it's actually £6.99 a month.

Does anyone know what value of discounts are offered on the premium perks? I need a new pair of New Balance Zante's so could be worth a months sub just for the discount.

I always had the offer of a 30 days free trial displayed when it was premium, wish i had tried it out now, as no such offer for Summit.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhh well that's useful to pay monthly sub for discounts in another country, happy as i am with it then i think. If the 30 day free trial reappears i'll have a butchers then.

Thanks

·
Registered
811 Posts
Try contacting support and tell them you want a 30 day free trial and the link isn't working. They may just give you one. Strava support has always been very reasonable, even though they can be a bit slow sometimes if you're not on premium.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Try contacting support and tell them you want a 30 day free trial and the link isn't working. They may just give you one. Strava support has always been very reasonable, even though they can be a bit slow sometimes if you're not on premium.
I'd be interested to hear back as well as I thought about getting a trial but its gone now:((
Many Thanks Stupid Beard,

Got a reply from the ticket i raised -

They've added a 30 day free trial of Summit to my account so i can try it out.

Can't complain at that, and only took 4 days to reply to the ticket.

Raise a ticket Darren and ask for yours.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Many Thanks Stupid Beard,

Got a reply from the ticket i raised -

They've added a 30 day free trial of Summit to my account so i can try it out.

Can't complain at that, and only took 4 days to reply to the ticket.

Raise a ticket Darren and ask for yours.
Excellent :tup:

I noticed just now that the Android app has started offering a free trial again, so that's another option. I assume the iPhone app will do the same but don't know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts