Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if I do some strength training on my legs and upper body should this improve my rather lame running performance.

I can't run that far without having to go to a fast walking pace and catch my breath. I know most of it is down to cardio/lung fitness etc but just wondered if I carried on with my Gym Ball/Tae Bo/A N Other aerobic DVDS etc plus swimming, would this make it easier on my lungs and legs?

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
BubblyDebz said:
So if I do some strength training on my legs and upper body should this improve my rather lame running performance.

I can't run that far without having to go to a fast walking pace and catch my breath. I know most of it is down to cardio/lung fitness etc but just wondered if I carried on with my Gym Ball/Tae Bo/A N Other aerobic DVDS etc plus swimming, would this make it easier on my lungs and legs?
Ok debz the question is how much excess are you carrying ?
it's little wonder you can't run far doing all that lot above :eek:
On a slightly more serious note, we all need to catch our second wind when we run ,you will be breathing heavier to start your runs but try and keep running then you'll catch your breath and i'm sure you'll be fine.:)

But as you've got so much spare time on your hands:rolleyes: :d you might as well do the strength stuff

25 hours in a day eight days a week where i live

It's nice here in cloud cuckoo land!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I always say (although nobody ever listens) that there's no substitute for actually running.
It sounds like the running is making you work harder than you work when you do all that other stuff, and from how you describe it, it seems that "all the other stuff" hasn't prepared you all that well for your running (or your heart/lungs would be able to keep up).
Maybe you should slow down your running to a pace at which you can hold a conversation... That's always a good measure. Talk to yourself if you're on your own... People already think you're crazy because you're out running anyway!;)

Keep plugging away. It will get easier!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I like doing strength work at the gym for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I just enjoy doing, just like I enjoy being able to run. A bit of extra weight on the bar is like running that wee bit further.

Secondly, I'm a bit more toned that I otherwise would be without the weights.

As far as running goes, I think strength training makes my legs stronger for running.

However, as Pedestrian said, the only way to get good at running is to run more. The weights just make it slighlty easier.

Just make sure you don't over do it. Feeling tired or slower times for the same run are two signs of overtraining.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Strength training is good to accompany your running training - but as has been said there's no substitute for running!

by all means add it in if you like... but if you were planning to add it in at the cost of sacrificing a run then it wouldn't be worth it.

Keep at it, you'll be surprised how quickly you can progress!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just remember not to run for a couple of days after a stength training session. Like when I have my legs day at the gym I dont run for 2 or 3 days. Muscles need time to recover.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheriton said:
Ok debz the question is how much excess are you carrying ?
it's little wonder you can't run far doing all that lot above :eek:
On a slightly more serious note, we all need to catch our second wind when we run ,you will be breathing heavier to start your runs but try and keep running then you'll catch your breath and i'm sure you'll be fine.:)

But as you've got so much spare time on your hands:rolleyes: :d you might as well do the strength stuff

25 hours in a day eight days a week where i live

It's nice here in cloud cuckoo land!
I do have alot of time on my hands, its true...was made redundant and waiting to start new job....makes committing to loads of exercise alot easier!!

I prob have about half a stone I could do with losing but am not seriously overweight, guess from what everyone is saying its just a case of keeping at it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts