Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recieved several running books from Santa, I'm starting to work my way through them with great interest. At the moment I'm reading about strength/weight/resistance training and its benefits in improving running technique and efficiency, also helping a great deal to prevent injuries. The book also iterates how a vast number of runners simply don't regularly supplement their running with weight training...

This got me thinking, who does weight training to supplement their running training? If you don't, is there a reason why not?

Up until now I've not bothered simply thinking that running excercises my leg muscles which should suffice, any weight training would probably just fatigue my leg muscles and hinder my running. But on reading this book it's made me see it in a different light and i'll certainly be looking for more sources on information on weight training to supplement running (i'll never change my training just by reading one source of info... i'll research it thoroughly first) ;)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
My resolution to myself this year is to get in my garage on the days I don`t run and use my weights bench and sit up bench to see if it does improve my running.

I don`t really know how it helps,but I seem to remember reading about core strenght helping stability and stamina.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It's supposed to help with core fitness and balancing your muscles, so that the ones you use don't get disproportionately active and throw things out of balance, and you don't suffer too much when having to use the ones you don't often use.

I "keep meaning to" work on weights and general fitness, will get around to it one day... Although mainly cos it's annoying me to have comparatively great leg strength and virtually no arm strength

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi everyone, first post on this forum!

I have weight trained for the past six years or so as my primary form of exercise, and supplemented here and there with light running as a form of cardio, along with cycling.
Not so long ago my weight was 16'4, and I was starting to notice that my knees and ankles were giving a lot of pain whilst running. I realised that this kind of weight wasn't good for me, even though I had very little fat.

Lately running is gradualy taking over as my first form of exercise, supplemented with LIGHT weight training once or twice per week.

The benefits have been amazing! I am now down to 15 stone, and feel much healthier.

I would certainly advise anyone who is serious about fitness to use weights, but it is how you use them that is important!
For example, if training for size alone you normally train each bodypart once per week ( say legs/mon chest/tues arms/wed shoulders/thurs back/fri) , but when training you lift heavy weight but with low repititions.

Strength training, which I think is suitable for most users of this forum (and which I now do once or twice per week) involves lifting lighter weights,but with lots of repetitions, say 3*20. Normally I do 1 exercise for each bodypart per workout. Don't worry, you won't bulk up at all doing this form of workout, especially with the amount of cardio that serious running entails! Just eat sensibly, and try to take on protein and carbs after a workout!
I promise that you will see gains in your running if you work at your strength, but be patient, gains may take a few weeks!

One more thing. When you hear of people talking about core strength, this refers to all the muscles round the lower part of your torso (abs, lower back, and deeper muscles in this area).

I hope this helps a little, but if anyone has any more questions I would be pleased to answer them!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the informative first post jonny! Welcome to the forum :d

I know a reasonable amount about strength training already but I'm really glad to finally hear about someone who's had real experience of complimenting their running with weight training and achieved good results!

I'm just waiting for my gym membership info to come through the post and I'll be hitting the gym every other night :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good luck with the gym, Richard! - please do let me know how you get on.

For the benefit of other members, I cannot stress how beneficial strength training can be to compliment your running. However, I do say compliment, as we all know that for all round, basic fitness there is nothing better than running!;)

One more thing. Since switching over to mainly running, I personally find that it is much better to work at my core strength as soon as I arrive home after a run. I find doing crunches, etc so much easier whilst the blood is still pumping fast!:d

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Richard,

I would highly, highly, highly recommend complementing your runs with a proper strength training regimen.

I'm not talking about going to the gym and hopping on the machines that have no positive transfer to running but instead performing functional exercises that will prevent injuries and make you more powerful.

For instance, here are 3 great exercises for all runners...

1. lunge walks with lateral twist
2. planking with knee drive
3. small lunge with arm drives

Let me know if you need help with these.

yuri

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use the gym rather than run in the winter.

From October to Christmas I do ten minutes on the treadmill then heavy strength training: Heavy weights low repetitions, squats are the best for upper leg strengthening but I incorporate core strength and upper body workouts.

From January to the end of March I increase the treadmill time to 20 minutes and use a different workout to increase stamina and endurance with lighter weights and increased repetitions, including power lifts (snatch lifts are my favourite).

I'm 5'10", 52 years old and still weigh about the same eleven and a half stone as when I was eighteen.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I am having to do core training to build up my muscles in that area, to help support my discs so they will hopefully stop bulging, until I have done that I am not allowed to run I have another 3 weeks or so to go :(

But I am doing my exercises everyday :d

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
twinkle toes said:
I am having to do core training to build up my muscles in that area, to help support my discs so they will hopefully stop bulging, until I have done that I am not allowed to run I have another 3 weeks or so to go :(

But I am doing my exercises everyday :d
What kind of core-strengthening exercises are you doing, TT? View attachment 151

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
abdominal crunches and oblique crunches

This is a weird one but on your hands and knees with your back as level as possible imagine you are balancing something on it and one at a time lift a hand or knee and hold for 20 seconds with out loosing balance and then rotate around until you have lift every limb.

in the same position lift one hand and one leg and do a superman style pose, then swap.

reverse leg curl, lay on your back with your legs a 90 degrees and the lower them slowly without your back arching it must stay flat. If you can't do both legs do one at a time.

half press up lying flat on front, place hands under shoulders, as if to do a normal press up, keeping hips flat on floor slowly push up with arms to gently stretch the spine slowly return to starting position. I have long arms so I lift myself completely and then relax into the position.

Sitting on a gym ball get yourself in the perfect sitting position and take one foot off the floor and hold for 20 secs with out wobbling everywhere and then repeat on other foot.

I also use the gym ball to do squats, put ball against wall with your back on the ball and roll up and down the wall.

I hope that all makes sence.................

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
twinkle toes said:
abdominal crunches and oblique crunches

This is a weird one but on your hands and knees with your back as level as possible imagine you are balancing something on it and one at a time lift a hand or knee and hold for 20 seconds with out loosing balance and then rotate around until you have lift every limb.

in the same position lift one hand and one leg and do a superman style pose, then swap.

reverse leg curl, lay on your back with your legs a 90 degrees and the lower them slowly without your back arching it must stay flat. If you can't do both legs do one at a time.

half press up lying flat on front, place hands under shoulders, as if to do a normal press up, keeping hips flat on floor slowly push up with arms to gently stretch the spine slowly return to starting position. I have long arms so I lift myself completely and then relax into the position.

Sitting on a gym ball get yourself in the perfect sitting position and take one foot off the floor and hold for 20 secs with out wobbling everywhere and then repeat on other foot.

I also use the gym ball to do squats, put ball against wall with your back on the ball and roll up and down the wall.

I hope that all makes sence.................
Er, can you be a bit more specific? :d

No... thanks for that TT. View attachment 161

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
They are the ones the physio told me to do but I chucked in the squats just to live life in the fast lane.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts