Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

After running the Great North Run I have developed a stress fracture in my right foot. I went for an X Ray and nothing showed up but I am convinced that this is the problem.

Has anyone had a stress fracture before, and dou have any tips on how to help heal the fracture without having a cast put on?

Many thanks in advance !

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Stress fractures don't always show up on x-rays. Rest is the only was I'm afraid but you do need a definitive diagnosis I would suggest going to see a sports physio for an assessment (apologies if you have already). Does it really hurt if you hop on the affected leg?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'd a stress fracture some years ago, caused by too much mileage. It didn't show on the X-Ray but our club doctor was convinced it was a stress fracture in one of the metatarsals and sent me for a bone scan which proved him right. I'd to stay off running for nearly six weeks but was able to keep myself reasonably fit on the bike until it healed. It's been no problem since.
Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the replies.

I can now walk on the affected foot but I get a slight soreness which persists if i walk for more that say a minute on it, this is better than a few weeks back when i had a lot of pain even putting weight down

I cycle a lot and hope this does not affect me too much, any thoughts? I cycle with my right heel on the pedal as if i put my foot flat i get a dull ache which lasts for about an hour afterwards.

I havent seen a pysio but i;'m convinced its a fracture in my metartasel.

Will Ice help even though i have nothing inflamed? Any other tips ?

Thanks !

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I was sure I'd fractured something in my foot last week, I could barely stand on it at all!... a day later it felt absolutely fine! (and then I buggered it up on a trampoline)... I always seem to assume the worst when pain's involved :embarrassed:

My initial response to your post meehai was that surely if the x-ray shows nothing, then it's not a fracture, possibly bruising or straining of something... but then havign read the other posts, I'm genuinely shocked to find out that stress fractures can go un-noticed in x-rays!!! I thought that was the whole point of X-rays! lol.

Sounds as if you're pretty sure it is a stress fracture (and others seem to think so too), would probably be well worth getting yourself to a physio or going back to the docs and getting a second opinion?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts