Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How frequently do people stretch?

I was doing it every day but after suffering with some tenderness behind the knee I have decided to only do it after runs for a few weeks and see if it helps. Just wondered what other people did?

·
Registered
106 Posts
How frequently do people stretch?

I was doing it every day but after suffering with some tenderness behind the knee I have decided to only do it after runs for a few weeks and see if it helps. Just wondered what other people did?
Well other than a rather strange stretch I do for my piriformis I don't do any stretching and I rarely get injured now (don't know if it is cause and effect but not stretching isn't causing problems). Definitely only stretch warm muscles though. Cold stretching will cause injury.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have played around with various amounts of stretching. I don't do any before a run anymore. I find that the key is a proper warm up. After a run I do some foam rollering but only if I feel I need it.

My main thing now is 1hr per week of strength and conditioning. This is a service I pay for. It includes mobility work which I find is enough. As it is supervised I get the variety and amount I need as on my own I would tend to do the same things over with little variation.

·
2,698 Posts
I don't do anything beforehand, I just make sure I do a solid running warm-up, at least a mile ideally two or three, before any faster session. When doing big miles I also try to do a yoga session at least a few times a week. There is a balance to be found - some muscle stiffness is good for performance, so you don't want to be too flexible!

·
Registered
106 Posts
There is no real evidence (randomised, well conducted trials) that says warming up and /or stretching has any effect on injury prevention.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Done zero stretching for over 2yrs now. Only running related injury iv had has been shin splints. Before a hard effort ill jog for a mile or 2, afterwards ill just sit down and watch tv. Im probably asking for it though lol.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
There is no real evidence (randomised, well conducted trials) that says warming up and /or stretching has any effect on injury prevention.

This. And to quote/paraphrase the movie Zombie Land, ever see a Lion warm up?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses. I haven't stretched before a run for ages, ever since I read it was no good. I just stretch after runs. I also do a hip/glute strengthening routine which has led to me being injury free for a while now, so I'm happy with that.

Was just interested to see what others did.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have to say - I've never seen a lion drive a car, sit at a desk in front of a computer all day or lie on the sofa for hours in front of the TV!!!
Didn't you ever watch Daktari? Clarence the lion was cross-eyed from watching too much TV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts