Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

Thanks for all your advise on my last post, I got my shoes - (Brooks Vapor 6), so now I'm ready to start.

I have been advised to make sure I stretch properly before, but as I mentioned in my last post I do martial arts and we are advised not to stretch until you have warmed up (as you can cause yourself damage), so to warm up we do some gentle jogging.

So I'm a little confused - Do I need to stretch before jogging or jog until warm - stretch then jog properly, or jog then stretch off at the end??

I trying to do everything I can to make sure my shin splints don't come back and stop me running again.

Thanks

Daz

·
Registered
9 Posts
stretching

id go with dan on this,typically running will shorten muscles on back of leg(hamstrings and calf) and they will stretch better when warm,while muscles on front(quads and shin) be relatively weak;if you have had probs with shinsplints then strengthening may be important(maybe resisting your foot coming upwards with rubber bandand slowly lowering down); hate to mention it but while stretching may help your running efficiency,there is some doubt whether it prevents injuries!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts