Runners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm 67 now and can't run better than 21 for a parkrun. My cadence is fairly poor at 150 and I take it that's brain processing. Do I really need to increase it? I tried 180 with a metronome and could only achieve that for a few minutes. I'm beaten by new to the sport (say 20 years) men of my age with no county background. I can't run 2 miles at my old 20 mile speed and I feel that's too much of a decline. I'm doing something wrong.

·
4,377 Posts
I am 65 and 21 is about my parkrun standard at this time, my cadence is 190.
In my 30s I was running sub 17 for 5k (16:39 PB).
I find it hard to get my head around the fact that I am not as quick as I used to be, but putting it into perspective I usually place well in my age group, so I have to tell myself I am only racing those of my age.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I needed a reply. We have a similar background then. I can't run at 190, it would exhaust me. I think that's where I am going wrong, I lollop at 150. I just don't understand why I can't run a couple of 6 minute miles, there are guys my age doing 19 min for 5k.

·
4,377 Posts
I do a gym session 6 days a week where I spend about 40 mins on an exercise bike turning a lightish gear at a high cadence. I have found that this helps my running cadence.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see, I've never heard of that before, if it works that's great. I'll video myself and see what's up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts