Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Struggled today, I was doing a tempo run (I think you call it) of 5k, as part of my training for my next 10k. In the last couple of weeks I've been knocking minutes off my times, in fact 2 weeks ago my time for 5k was 29 mins, and I got that down to 26 mins last week. Had a longer run in between, and set off for my 5k today - and ended up doing it in about the same time as last week, so am wondering if I have reached a plateau? I feel I could go faster on a good day, but was struggling to maintain that pace today (I guess something a little over 8 minute miles) - but feel I should still be making major improvements. I haven't slept for a couple of nights so am wondering if that would have affected me a lot as well?

Also, I seem to be getting to the "lungs fighting for breath" stage earlier and earlier, and finding it takes longer to get into my comfort zone - when I feel it should be the other way round - or is it my body getting more used to the running and kicking in quicker or something? (I have only been working on times since about mid April - I was running before then, but had almost 2 months off with an injury, but managed to get to sub hour fitness in 3 weeks before the Manchester 10k run).

So have I reached a plateau, and can now only look towards shaving seconds off, or are there still leaps and bounds to come?! :confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
ive had the same problem with taking longer to reach my comfort zone, and getting the fighting for breath earlier. so id be happy for someone to give some advice!
the good thing about me is, that im now addicted to running, so im happy to have to suffer for the first few km, until i reach comfort.
and im sure theres more to come for you... you'll enter a race, and batter your time for sure!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Woot woot! Went for my 10k regular run today, it was hot and sunny, I was aiming just to finish, really, as was feeling tired. Set off a little slower, and found the breathing more comfortable - my pace was a bit mixed up though, I started off at about 5 minutes per k, and sometimes it was 4.5, although after those bursts I had to slow to a 7 minute per k recovery pace at times.

However, I had moments of comfort even if it was tough going at times - and managed to knock 2 minutes off my best 10k training time to date, even though I varied my route slightly, and the last 500 metres was up a pretty steep hill, which probably added 20-30 seconds on to the time!

I have been mixing it up lately, with some tempo runs and distance runs etc - in the past I have found a 3 day rest every now and then really helps me come back fresh, so as I am away for the weekend, I plan to do some hill walking and beach bumming, which I suppose can double as cross training (well, the hill walking bit anyway!) - will be interesting to see how it affects my big black toenail, which I have developed from the running! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Sounds like things are coming together Rob.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Well done Rob - knocking 2mins off your 10km time is no mean feat.

Just goes to show that we all have bad days, but if you stick with it, you're bound to improve.

Keep up the good work!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts