Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be stuck on some times... Does the same happen to any of you?

I have 3 half-marathons between 1h17'25'' and 1h17'50'' and then other 3 between 1h20'50'' and 1h20''56 !!!!!

Several times I have been within less tan 20'' from a new 10K PB but it just wasn't there for some reason. Wind, hills, level of fitness...

Lisbon half-marathon today. I will be very happy with a 1h19'59'' :p If not a PB, at least under 1h20' ;)

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
Have you taken a rest recently? I've found that if I get 2-3 months of quality training in then rest for a week (no running, just swimming) within two weeks of full training I'll be running PB's.

This has worked well for me twice in the past eighteen months. I knocked 30 seconds off my 5k PB and 1 minute off 10k PB.

Best of luck in the Lisbon half today, let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Fulmar said:
I seem to be stuck on some times... Does the same happen to any of you?

I have 3 half-marathons between 1h17'25'' and 1h17'50'' and then other 3 between 1h20'50'' and 1h20''56 !!!!!

Several times I have been within less tan 20'' from a new 10K PB but it just wasn't there for some reason. Wind, hills, level of fitness...

Lisbon half-marathon today. I will be very happy with a 1h19'59'' :p If not a PB, at least under 1h20' ;)

If I was in your position I would consider racing at a different distance(s) for a while.
Have you considered racing on the track? It will improve your speed and will help your longer racing. I was able to run 4.30 for a mile race so running 6.00 pace felt easy in road races. Try running 1500m 3000m and 5000m during the summer. There are plenty of open meetings around and your local athletics club will welcome you with open arms if you want to race for them! Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi steepler!
I have done a lot of track racing. Road, cross-country, hill/fell running...
And, for example, those times around 1h17' were all in different conditions.
In one I had the proper training for long distance. The next I was feeling good going for 1h15' and got injured in the last 300m!!! I had to stop and then walk. :( The third, I was back from 3 months stopped and had trained for only 3 weeks. It just happened that day...

I think that some time ago the problem was psychological as I was afraid of not being able to run at PB pace. After that, like last Sunday, something unexpected happened (together with the lack of training miles).
It's a bit embarassing to say this but after the 3km marker and until the 18K one I was just worrying where to go... err... hmmm... to the "toilet" :embarrassed:
After the 11K it got really bad and I couldn't think of anything else...
First time this happened to me in 10 years...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts