Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a half marathon right on my doorstep - the starting line is 5 mins walk from my flat - next August and I'm wondering if I would have time to train for it? I only started running properly in June of this year and now can comfortably go 2 miles at a time. Is 10 months enough time to get fit enough to run 13 miles? I would love to have something solid to train for.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Li3zzy you would breeze it no worries, the training you are doing now is perfect for getting you started but it won't be long before you are running further and further. Training for a 1/2 is no easy feat but people do it all the time, the sense of acheivement will be immense, also try some shorter races 10k's etc they will give you race experience and so you know what to expect when you turn up for the big day :d

My first race was a 1/2 marathon with even less time then you to train for and I did it, there were times when I wondered why I was doing it but come the race I wanted to do it all again no problem.

TT :d

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
yeah i think you will be fine..
you could prob manage to run it now, as long as you are realistic about your finish time.

i was in a similar situation to you in april this year, and am now booked in for two half's in october.

one thing i would suggest, if you havnt already.. book in for some 5/10ks along the way... such as the forum social in Nov

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Assuming no major injury setbacks Lizzy it'd be a great goal for you to work towards, you can stedily build up your mileage and confidence and not have to rush cramming all your training into a short space of time.

It will undoubtedly be a challenge, beyond just that of a physical challenge, obviously you'll need to allow more time each week for your runs as they get longer, but the end result will be a euphoric feeling as you cross the finish line. (or rather a few mins after once you've caught your breath ;))

Find an event or two along the way to build up to, maybe a 10k or two... and yes, perhaps even the forum social - even if you're not able to run 10k in one go by then, you could run/walk it and there will undoubtedly be a big supporting crowd when you cross the finish line :) Alternatively of course you can be part of the crowd cheering others home ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like we are both in the same situation Lizzie, geographically and exercise -ically!

I only started running recently and have done a 5k race.

Whats the route of the half like? Pretty bloomin' hilly round here.

Be interested to know if you run with a club - and which one. Thinking that a club might help my motivation and help to sort out the mental side of running longer distances.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi Lizzi, I think you could definately do it. I started running at the beginning of March and have just done my first half, so had six months to get fit. The race was really really hard but I feel a great sense of achievment. I agree with the others, it is a big comittment and sometimes you do wonder why you are missing out on nights out or lie ins to go and run in the cold but it's worth it in the end. You are obviously really enthusiastic from all your posts so I think you'll have the willpower to stick to training. Good luck:)

p.s. also agree about entering 5K and 10K on the way. The feeling when I finished my first 10K was amazing, one of the best highs of my life.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
No question about it...it's compulsory to run in races that pass so close to your front door! Just think of the saving to your carbon footprint.................

Yes, you've plenty of time to get fit for it.....every confidence in you....enter asap!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
you can do it no problem as long as you establish and then stick to a training plan. i did my first half on sunday and my training schedule consisted of building my weekly mileage up to approx 25, including a long run on a sunday. this long run started at about 6/7 miles and gradually built up (by a mile a week) until i was able to do 12 miles a couple of times prior to the race itself.

would definitely echo everyone elses comments about getting a few 10/5k's under your belt. that might prove awkward over the winter but there should be plenty near you in may/june/july next year.

good luck and always remember that regular but small incremental increases in distance are the way to do it.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
good luck and always remember that regular but small incremental increases in distance are the way to do it.
Top tip...10% max increase in distance per week and only increase the longest run each week by 10%

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once my leg has healed I'm going to work out a little training plan and go for it! wish me luck everyone :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right I've decided, I'm going to enter the Stur half next year.....argh I must be mad!

I've said it now so theres no going back, wish me luck everyone!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Hrun! guess I need a plan to follow now seeing as the furthest I've gone so far is 2.2 miles

·
Registered
506 Posts
Lizzie,
my first race was a half too. I never realised how great it is running with loads of other people. I trained on a 12 week programme, 5 days a week where the longest Sunday run started at about 3-4 miles and increased by about a mile or so each week up to week 10, peaking at 12 miles, then it dropped back a bit to allow for recovery the two weeks before the race. Up to the point where I started the programme I was just concentrating for a couple of months on getting into the habit of running regularly and slowly building up so that I was ready for the programme, so you have plenty of time. Get the right shoes for the job and don't make the mistake I did of wearing the wrong ones when the mileage started to climb - you don't want shin splints. I'd agree with what Richard said about doing a couple of smaller events along the way if you can. Looking back, I wish I'd done that just for the experience. Good luck with the training, there are plenty of programmes around on the internet if you do a google search - the feeling of crossing the line is fantastic:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts