Runners Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
An easier week, in terms of mileage, but with 4 specific sessions.
The good news is the LT run. Ran it by feel and, even though I was trying to slow down, I just felt good and ran it 30 seconds faster than last week.
I like to use my LT pace to predict 5k race shape. To me 5:50ish predicts sub 17 5k fitness. And of course looking ahead to sub 16 we need to be feeling like 5:30 miles are "comfortably hard".

I find it weird in winter in the UK as I have less chance to go out and do a classic 20min LT run in good conditions... The course I use in the summer is pitch black with no lighting in the winter. I tend to put faith in my training and the XC season...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I reckon I'm capable of achieving a sub 16 5K time given a few years training, just depends how much time I can commit to training, current best is 20:17, but back when I did lots of cycling I had my Vo2 max measured in a lab and it was pretty good.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I like to use my LT pace to predict 5k race shape. To me 5:50ish predicts sub 17 5k fitness. And of course looking ahead to sub 16 we need to be feeling like 5:30 miles are "comfortably hard".
Daniels agrees with you and I guess that was not a real Tempo run :p I felt good and went a bit fast.
I guess I am in 17:15-17:20 shape at the moment.
I have the 17:30 in November challenge thing on but I may have left it a bit late because I am racing on Sunday and it's getting windy at the moment.
I will have to try it on the 29th or 30th!

Hi All - I was very pleased with my run out yesterday in the North East Harrier League.

I have updated my blog here - https://kevrich1981.wordpress.com/
You ran really well there. Fortunately nothing worse happened from that fall during the other run!

I reckon I'm capable of achieving a sub 16 5K time given a few years training, just depends how much time I can commit to training, current best is 20:17, but back when I did lots of cycling I had my Vo2 max measured in a lab and it was pretty good.
I think you should jump from thread to thread and go for it. ;)
sub-20, sub-19, sub-18, sub-17 (is there one?), sub-16!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Still very busy with work but last week went like this:

(I am training by time, not distance, so I will start writing the duration of the runs, other than some specific workouts, not the distance)

Monday: - Fartlek 10x1min
Tuesday: 50mins moderate
Wednesday: Fartlek 3x5mins
Thursday: 1h10 progressive
Friday: 10xshort hill
Saturday: Fartlek 10x30secs
Sunday: 1h progressive

50.5 miles total.

I am reducing mileage this week. I will also race on Sunday. A hilly 4mi road race without any specific goal other than not lose to three runners who will be there. :p
B, L and P. I will let you know how it went.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I am reducing mileage this week. I will also race on Sunday. A hilly 4mi road race without any specific goal other than not lose to three runners who will be there. :p
B, L and P. I will let you know how it went.
Good luck for the race and let us know how you do.

I am planning on a parkrun effort on Saturday.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Thank you Kevin. I was going to have an easier week this week anyway and the hilly race fits well with my schedule.
I have a 10k on the 17th of December and if the weather is good (very windy area by the Atlantic) I am hoping for a solid SB.

Is the course of that Parkrun a fast one? If so, will you go for a PB?

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Kevin,
I've read your blog entry.
I think it was very sensible of you to skip the Parkrun.
That does sound like bruised ribs and that requires a few days to heal.

My race went really well. I will write a little report later.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Last week:

Monday: 40 mins moderate
Tuesday: 10x medium hill on grass
Wednesday: 50 mins progressive
Thursday: 10 x 220m on grass
Friday: 51 mins easy
Saturday: 30mins easy
Sunday: 6.3 km hilly road race - 23:10

42.1 miles total.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Did you manage to keep up with B, L and P? :d
L didn't go so that was one less to worry about! :p

There are some very good runners taking part in this race every year (as an example, the 2016 national junior 800m - 1:50 - and cross-country champion was only 3rd) but it's organised by a small club and the atmosphere is great, with about 3 hours of races, starting with the younger age groups (<10).

I told B and L that I wanted to beat them. Lat year I finished side by side with B (first woman).
So, my three goals were to beat them and improve on my 23:48 from last year.
After 500m B caught me and we ran together. Another 500m and I felt good and moved ahead. That was the last time I saw her - she told me later that she had done speedwork the day before and was a bit tired).

Then the long climb started. 2km of relentless, steady climb.
Only then I noticed P was 50m ahead! This is a guy who weighed 130 kg 4 years ago and who last year "only" ran 38:01. But I had seen him in training earlier this month and I knew he had improved a lot. I just didn't expect such a big improvement.
I worked with one of his team mates and we caught P at the end of the climb, more or less halfway through the race.
We ran 1km together and then I surged on a big downhill. I put some distance between us and P told me after the race that for the first time ever he was racing someone else and not just the clock, and he knew he couldn't let me go at that moment or it would be over.
I must say I worried a bit when he worked his way back just before the big climb.

1.1 km from the end there's a very, very steep 150m hill and P tore the group apart there.
At the top he was 30m ahead of me! and I was the one thinking that I couldn't let the gap grow now!
The race ends with a 300m uphill and I wanted to catch him at the bottom to try and outsprint him in the end.
I was running hard for the next 800m but slowly catching him.
As we reached the bottom of the hill and turned right for the last climb I was two steps behind P.
I caught him and he said "You go. I am done."
I looked behind and saw that no one was really close so I suggested we finish together and we did just that.

I also ran 23:10 so I achieved the three goals.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
On Sunday I will pace a runner I am coaching. Hoping to run the Half-Marathon under 1h32.
The next race I have planned is a 10k on the 17th.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Guys - bad news - I have had confirmation that I have a broken rib!

I have been running (albeit easily) with this injury since 19th November!

Pretty gutted but trying not to over react to the instruction that I may need 4-6 weeks at the moment as this came from uk walk in centre nurse who also winced at my resting HR of 44bpm! She likes to see >50bpm apparently!

Will speak to some trusted people and decide what I can and can't do. I think I will be back to my walking routine once more...

More news to follow on the Blog.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Guys - bad news - I have had confirmation that I have a broken rib!

I have been running (albeit easily) with this injury since 19th November!

Pretty gutted but trying not to over react to the instruction that I may need 4-6 weeks at the moment as this came from uk walk in centre nurse who also winced at my resting HR of 44bpm! She likes to see >50bpm apparently!

Will speak to some trusted people and decide what I can and can't do. I think I will be back to my walking routine once more...

More news to follow on the Blog.
Have you had an x-ray?
And has she never seen a fit person before haha?? Less than 50 is perfectly normal :lol:
Hope you have a speedy recovery :tup:

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
James - Good luck for the race!

Kevin - I have just checked my training diary and it took me 11 days (of slow running) to start running fast again after cracking two ribs.
The discomfort persisted for many weeks after and now, almost 5 years later, I still feel "something" there once in a while, during faster sessions.

It may be just a bump on the road for you and if you can get back to training within two or three weeks you may even benefit from complete rest.

I hope you get well soon!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
PS: My half-marathon PB came after three weeks of absolutely no running (due to injury) followed by two weeks of running, without any speedwork.
So it can't be that bad unless you were peaking for your goal race.
I know you had the cross-country race to come soon but the 5,000 m are the real goal to get that vest!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Have you had an x-ray?
And has she never seen a fit person before haha?? Less than 50 is perfectly normal :lol:
Hope you have a speedy recovery :tup:
No she said no point in an x-ray so just have to be patient and I'll know when its better! Thanks John!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
James - Good luck for the race!

Kevin - I have just checked my training diary and it took me 11 days (of slow running) to start running fast again after cracking two ribs.
The discomfort persisted for many weeks after and now, almost 5 years later, I still feel "something" there once in a while, during faster sessions.

It may be just a bump on the road for you and if you can get back to training within two or three weeks you may even benefit from complete rest.

I hope you get well soon!
Thanks very much for the advice and support! Really helped me and just need to be patient! One of the reasons I started the thread was that I hoped it would help me on my journey and this post alone has made it worth it to share my goal!

41 - 60 of 96 Posts