Runners Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Thank you Gary and James!
I did a Fartlek today and felt that I am back to normal.
I have to start thinking about racing again.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
19th February - 25th February

Monday: 1h05 easy
Tuesday: Fartlek 10 x 1 min
Wednesday: 20 mins Fast (challenging route) - (5k in 19:17)
Thursday: 1h07 easy -> hard (helping in a tough 20:10 5k) -> easy
Friday: 1h10 easy
Saturday: 1h30 easy -> moderate
Sunday: Pure Fartlek - 20 mins

58.4 miles total.

A significant increase in mileage and lots of fast miles.
I expect to reduce mileage and increase intensity next week.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
How confident are you of breaking 16 Fulmar?

I do like your training though, some good old fashioned no-nonsense running.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Thanks Gary.
I like to keep things simple but I may hit the track a few times.

How confident? From 1 to 10, with 1 being "Ha!" and 10 being "Extremely confident".
In 2018 - 1
In 2019 - 7
Ever - 10

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Thank you James.
I hope so. I'm having a busy week with work but I don't think it will affect the running that much.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Hi Fulmar - first of all where did the time go? I've just seen that my last post here was late 2017.

How is your quest for sub 16 going?

I have had a difficult period. Following my rib break in Nov 2017 I sustained a groin injury in Feb/Mar 18. I had a "Gilmores Groin" operation in May 2018. I am hopeful now of getting back on the road to a sub 16.

I hope to start contributing on here again.

Be great to hear from you. I hope you have kept more consistent in your journey than I have!

Onwards and upwards!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Hey Kevin! :)

Good to see you back here!
With you gone and the lack of 5k/5000m races around here I actually went a bit numb in my training, and then I signed up for a Marathon in November to get me motivated to train with some purpose again.
At the moment I am not sure I will run that Marathon but I am shedding the extra 10 lbs little by little and gradually getting stronger.

For now I want to transition into trail running but I will still keep some speed in my training. I hope to be back in the 17s this year, 16s in 2019 and then we'll see. :)

I see you have already gone sub 18 in July. How's it going now?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Hi Fulmar, things are going well thanks.

I have my first race since my operation in May tomorrow at the Northern 6 stage relays in Manchester in the UK. I understand it is a 4 mile leg so I'm hoping for a good run.

I plan to write a race report on my blog for those that are interested. After that I'll be moving into the 2018/19 cross country season again. Hoping to build on last year.

And so the quest for a sub 16 minute 5k continues...

For those interested I have come up with the concept of what I call "Running Proof Points". This is something I am using to help guide me towards the sub 16min 5k. I guess you could call it a structured way of tracking my progress.

The intro blog is here -

https://kevrich1981.wordpress.com/2...ty-and-pinpointing-key-areas-for-improvement/

The "how do I stack up" against the 3 running proof points is here -

https://kevrich1981.wordpress.com/2018/09/22/running-proof-points-so-how-do-i-stack-up/

I will be writing a blog in the next few weeks about how I plan to train to improve my metrics.

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Race report from Northern Relays now posted on https://kevrich1981.wordpress.com

I had a good run out and I think I am currently in 16:48 5k shape (VDOT = 61) so still a lot of work to be done to get into sub 16 minute 5k shape!

Bring on the XC season!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Well I had to pull out of the first XC fixture here in the north east of England due to a head cold but I did manage to get out last night and run a 1 mile race. It was the first time I'd ever ran a mile.

To run a sub 16 5km I believe I need to be able to run a mile in 4:37. I managed 4:49 last night which seems to be around 16:35-36 5k shape. So still a long way off but actually I am very confident I can improve.

I wrote a short report on the race for those interested on https://kevrich1981.wordpress.com

I did run out of steam the last 200m to be honest and I have never felt lactate acid build up in my arms like that before. So I need to plan some mile type workouts and also maybe focus a bit more on S&C as I don't feel that stable in terms of running economy running at that pace.

Anyway, onwards and upwards and I'm excited to be running the National 6 stage relays in Birmingham this weekend for the first time. I must say I'm really enjoying just getting out there and doing some racing! Long may it continue.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I'm also doing the relays. Not all that excited about the very long day of travelling though. Are you doing XC on Sunday?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Hi Claire - no I have missed the first two XC fixtures but planning to complete the final 4!

How did you get on?

The Nationals was a fairly humbling experience but one I'm glad I did!

I'm writing a race report on my blog and will post when done.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Yes, a very humbling experience! I was only there to make up the numbers and was a couple of minutes slower than my team-mates! Even by my standards it was poor, though - only just inside 7 minute miles!

But then on Sunday I ran the XC and ran a course best, so was very pleased with that but still need to improve quite a bit to get promotion to fast pack, especially now they make us give a larger headstart to the slow pack than the men have to give to their slow pack (which is absurd!)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Hi all, I've been meaning to get back on the forum more regularly but things have always gotten in the way!

Just a very quick update, I ran 16.01 for 5km in August 2021 at the age of 40! So I can't say this forum thread is "put to bed" but very nearly!

Hope everyone is keeping well, be good to hear from you!

81 - 96 of 96 Posts