Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out for an early run yesterday and it was great to see so many other runners out training. They must be all getting ready for marathons. I must have said good morning to about 10 people! Apart from one bloke who completely blanked me, he must have been in the zone :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
The runners in my area are a friendly bunch as well. Always say hello. One thing although I've noticed though is a few people speed when they see another runner!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I always say hi to people when I'm out running. It's the polite thing to do!
Bet there won't be as many people out after April 23rd once London is done!

·
Registered
419 Posts
steepler said:
I always say hi to people when I'm out running. It's the polite thing to do!
Bet there won't be as many people out after April 23rd once London is done!
Actually I think you're wrong and I wouldn't mind taking you up on that bet. In past year's I've noticed an increase in runners after the FLM - which I think is partly to do with the publicity generated and partly to do with the lighter evenings and the warmer, drier weather...

(but I do agree that there'll be less people out doing long, long, long runs)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Sure the London gets people attracted to running but most of them won't be running for much longer after that! How many will be training for a fall marathon?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sticking to my guns a little here ;-)

In the past I've been out running in central London in May and in the local parks (Richmond and Bushy) in July and August and have noticed that there are sooooo many people out running - far more than I see at the moment on my Sunday morning runs.

I agree most of these people aren't out there marathon training - in fact I've no idea what (if anything) they are training for.

FLM is 33000 runners who admittedly are out there training several days a week at the moment - but they're still not a majority of the runners out there (IMO) - and the warmer drier months bring the non-marathoners out in their droves...

·
Registered
220 Posts
I ran from Hampton Court to Putney yesterday and people seemed less and less friendly the closer to London I got. :(

I would agree that there seem to be more people out at the moment than a few weeks ago. Not sure whether it's FLM-related or whether it's just lighter out there so I can see them better :huh:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I must admit to wondering how many people just do 'the' marathon and then pack it in.
And does that annoy anyone else, how people say, "have you done the marathon" assuming that 1) you are training for a marathon and it is the be all and end all of every runners life and 2) the assumption that london is the only marathon on the planet.:huh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts