Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im relativly new to running and im still quite young but id like to be able to run a sub 60 min 10k in a few months at the moment i have never done anything further than 5k and i run that in about 32-33 mins (was gunna re-mesure today but nike+ thingy broke)
has anyone got any tips or advice on how to achive this?

cheers

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Firstly I'd try measuring your route online rather than relying solely on your Nike+, at least that way can be doubly sure of what distance you're running!

If you tell us a little more about yourself such as how often you run and how long you've run for we could point you in the right direction for a training plan to help you achieve your goal. ;)

·
Registered
664 Posts
2 years ago (at the age of 52) I agreed to participate in a 10K for charity with a crowd from work, never having run before, and managed a sub 50 mins after 3 months training. I was completely unfit to start with (although naturally slim, so not carrying excess weight). stuck to a training plan as I prepared - if you put the effort in amazing what you can achieve, managed sub 45 last year, this year who knows !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i re-meusred everything today and i can run a 5km road/cross country on undulating terrain in 29.34, at an average pace of 5.54km/ph

the 10km route ill be running is all on road but on the same undulating terrain, its much less the distance im worried about and my legs holding up, its my generla fitness that im more worried about.
normally i will run about 4-5 times a week but this is genrally very short runs during the week(under 1km) and then a 3kmish route on the saturday followed by a 1.5 km run on a the sunday.
im not sure if i could run more than 5 times a week manily due to a lack of time or effort

i may at the end of this week just try to run it and see what happends but any tips on anything really would be helpful

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Before running my first 10k, I was running similar times to you for a 5k and wanted to run sub-60 mins.

I found that doing speedwork with my local running club helped my speed a lot and I managed sub-60 mins.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Hi there TDT yoiu say you've got a few months before you run the 10k
type in 10k training schedules on your search engine thereare loads available from begginers up and preparing over different timescales.

These should give you a good insight into what you need to do to prepare .

I note from your profile that you are only 15 years old so no need to worry about your legs carrying you around .Just be realistic with the time you hope to achieve in the time allowed.

Most of all think positively repeat after me I CAN I WILL I MUST

above all enjoy yourself running

Take it easy

Cheriton;)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I CAN I WILL I MUST (eat chocolate)

:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
If you're not worried about your legs being able to carry you the whole 10k, then I wouldn't worry too much about your fitness. Your probably not as fit as you want to be, or as some of your friends perhaps, but I'd say you were a fair way off being 'unfit'.

Running 4-5 times a week is plenty, I'd say maybe even limit it to 4 runs per week, but add a bit more distance. Most importantly remember that not all runs should be at high pace - particularly looking at your current training schedule, you'd be far better off slowing one or two of your runs down and doubling the distance to prepare your body for running faster for longer periods of time. :)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Trinity said:

:rolleyes:
YOU CAN YOU WILL YOU MUST (eat chocolate)

:d The best mantra ever

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
probably best to keep them seperate though ;)
Yeah, don't eat the chocolate while trying to do speedwork, i tried it once kept missing my mouth
before you all start i know thats hard to believe!:p

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rigt having taken on all of that indepth information im just gunna have a rest day tomorow (1-2km) and then just have a crack at in on saturday
not drinking tomorow night either.

xx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts