Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know if anyone takes supplement drinks, im not a big eater and dont think i eat enough for the running i do, so someone advised me to take a protein/carb shake on days that i run but wasnt to sure about this. If anyone has any ideas advice please let me know thanks h

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I take a Protein shake after long runs and races.

Seems to help my recovery,but it could just be in my head.........

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same as Dave, I take Protein shake after a run. I also take a creatine drink about 1/2 hour before runs as it feeds your muscles while you run.

Jo

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
o.k would any one be able to tell me the names or brands of these protein shakes, im just being lazy haha

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I often drink a chocmalt forgoodness shake after a long run - its about 300 calories and less than 3% fat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I remembered to have a look this morning and I use Body Fortress Protein drink and Body Fortress Powder creatine from Holland & Barrett.
Jo

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
jothesnail said:
I remembered to have a look this morning and I use Body Fortress Protein drink and Body Fortress Powder creatine from Holland & Barrett.
Jo

Me too Jo. 900g for £9.99 when it`s on offer.

Vanilla for me..........

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I quite like the EAS Myoplex drinks - you can buy them pre-mixed or as ready to mix powder. I've only tried the strawberry or vanilla ones and haven't had any problems with them.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Grant said:
I quite like the EAS Myoplex drinks - you can buy them pre-mixed or as ready to mix powder. I've only tried the strawberry or vanilla ones and haven't had any problems with them.
Iv been told this is good stuff grant but something simular iv found called nutrisport weight gain ( dont be put off by the name, doesnt have high fat content ) protein and carb all in one, it is alot cheaper £30 4 5kilos.
Nutrisport also sell protein only one, look it up as its highest protein one and cheapest iv found if anyones looking to save abit of cash, look it up on http://www.bodyactive-online.co.uk/ H

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I'll keep that site in mind, I've never seen it before.

A site I've used is
HTML:
www.monstersupplements.com
- reasonable prices, a good selection and customer reviews to help you out too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also an energy drink is of a good help if i want to be in shape after long runnings.
I like milk shakes with fresh bananas.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi i can see what benefits drinking milk with it would be, but i think personally that would be far to filling for me, but good idea Hayley

·
Registered
8 Posts
Shakes

For calories and energy( cos I'm skinny) I make my own drink with low fat skimmed milk powder and skimmed milk. Costs about £1.30 a tub, makes about 4 shakes, is very low fat and gives you between 200 and 250 calories.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'm a user of SIS Rego (a protein recovery drink)... have tried the chocolate and strawberry flavours but prefer the strawberry one. It appears to help with my recovery (though of course it cuold just be psychological). I have also used creatine from Holland & Barrett in the past, but I can't say I noticed any difference with that, but I have faith in science and i'm sure it was helping in some way or another!

I would certainly recommend a supplement drink though, your body needs all the nutrients it can get to recover from your runs and from what I'm sure I've read, if there's insufficient energy/protein/whatever taken on board the body starts to burn muscle? Surely not ideal!

·
Registered
6 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
I'm a user of SIS Rego (a protein recovery drink)... have tried the chocolate and strawberry flavours but prefer the strawberry one. It appears to help with my recovery (though of course it cuold just be psychological). I have also used creatine from Holland & Barrett in the past, but I can't say I noticed any difference with that, but I have faith in science and i'm sure it was helping in some way or another!

I would certainly recommend a supplement drink though, your body needs all the nutrients it can get to recover from your runs and from what I'm sure I've read, if there's insufficient energy/protein/whatever taken on board the body starts to burn muscle? Surely not ideal!
can you share a link to SIS, i am interested

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
For SIS rego, the website is http://www.scienceinsport.com/rego.htm. Not the cheapest, but I like it, and there's certainly more expensive! I've just invested in a 1.6kg tub which set me back £23.

SIS do quite a number of energy drinks, gels, bars, etc... I recently tried their 'Nocte' which is a nightime drink which is supposed to aid recovery and help you sleep better. I tried Vanilla which i have to say didn't taste too great (yet it was strangely kind of moreish!) and it made me have crazy dreams! (you know the sort where NOTHING makes sense?! lol)... i'd be interested to try the choccy one :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts