Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What supplements do you take ie: Glucosamine, omega oils etc?

I dont take anything at the moment but this all might change.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I've recently started taking Coenzyme and I have to admit I've got more energy, which is why I'm still up and at it at this time of day.:happy:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
lol... I was a bit like that while I was a student... I think I must've lived on an average of 5hours sleep a night for the year. Don't think I could manage without a decent nights sleep nowadays though! (though the past few nights have been a little ropey)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I seem to pop all pills going.........I read too many magazines and get sucked in by all the articles that this vitamin will make you live 20 years longer, and this vitamin will make you look 10 years younger, and this supplement will make you run 50 x faster etc etc

I'm as gulible as they come and i rattle when I walk:worried:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most elite athletes take a protein shake with are high in BCAA's- these are branced chain amino acids which play a vital role in keeping the body in peak shape. Most athletes also supplement this with extra an amino acid called L-Glutamine. This has been shown in research to help build lean muscle but to also replenish the body following extreme exercise. It also improves energy etc.. and al the other scientific jargon- but its good.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It's very hard to tell if something's making an actual difference, or if you are just getting faster naturally, I find

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I sometimes take multi-vitamins, and also use energy gels on long runs of ten miles or more.

Other than that, I don't tend to bother - I far prefer "real" food.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
There's a whole string of waffle-stands by the beach where I am, always "arrange" for my long runs to finish up near one :cool:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It's very hard to tell if something's making an actual difference, or if you are just getting faster naturally, I find
I think until someone reaches towards the upper end of their full potential, then it's more likely to be the latter. When you're a pro-runner, then obviously any minor improvement you can make is worthwhile just to try and get that extra edge :)

5secs in a 10k to you or me is nothing, 5secs off a World Record would be a completely different story ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts