Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is my first post to this site.

I was hoping you guys might be able to help me with something. I am interested in purchasing a watch for training with GPS built-in.

I picked up a Garmin 305 leaflet from a shop recently and since then I have been researching the other watches around. The Garmin 305/405 models look very good to me but I also came across the Suunto X9i.

Another hobby of mine is scuba diving and I already have a Suunto dive watch which I am very pleased with but I haven't found any mention of the X9i in any of the forums.

Would you guys please tell me what you would choose and why? I'm interested in some unbiased / professional opinions.

Many thanks

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
A lot of us here have Garmins. I have a 305 and love it. Can't fault it in any way. I really don't know how good other brands are as I never looked beyond the Garmin because of it's reputation.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Welcome to the site jampot.

Might be worth having a read through some of the old posts here:

Watches & GPS - Runners Forum

You will find as much of an answer to your question as you will get on this thread. If the members here are representative Garmin have the bulk of the market. As to which is best, how long is a piece of string.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
It may be difficult to find too 'unbiased' an opinion because I doubt many people will have both a 305/405 and a Suunto

I own a 305 and I can't fault it really.
It has way more functions than I need - its customisable so you can display what you want on the screen (up to 4 different 'fields' - 305 only)- the amount of info it holds is immense.

The software bundled is quite basic - but good at what it does. I use that and also SportsTracks, and there are others to choose from.

I imagine both models do much the same thing - so if I was you I would have a think about what specific features you want to utilise - make sure that they have that ability - and if both do then its simply a case of which one you prefer or which you can get cheapest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've just been taking another look, the wireless feature of the 405 is swinging it for me at the moment as they all seem to have a similar feature set. Also now that Garmin have their own software to connect to Google Maps... It looks as if Garmin were relying on a third party for this software but now they have their own it's much better. Suunto also has a Google Maps link.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I wouldn't be bothered about the wireless personally as you have to plug it to something to charge it? so I might as well attach it to my computer

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
agreed with Hrun... I'd probably forget to charge my 305 if it weren't for it charging whilst docked to the computer!

I've heard good things about the Suunto offerings, and they're supposed to be a cracking bit of kit - but I've never experienced one myself.

As for Garmin 405 Vs 305 - I'd say the 305 had been nearing the peaks of what could be done in terms of functionality with a GPS watch system, the 405 basically does the same thing but is more compact with a few minor revisions (such as the wireless).

I'd say the 205 & 305 has the better (bigger) display, but the 405 certainly has the 'latest model' attraction about it ;) Whatever you decide I'm sure you won't be dissappointed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.

I'm going towards the 405. I was just curious as to why nobody was using the Suunto one - their diving watches are so good I thought there may be a problem with their other watches.

Thanks for your help guys - just going to look now as to how I can afford it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts