Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

About 2 years ago I was running in a cross country event and ended up having to pull out because there was swelling on the side of my knee. Afterwards I found that walking downhill was very hard as the more i bent my knee while walking it was very painful. I would say that I waited for over a month before getting back into running this would only consist of light jogging on the treadmill in the gym, everything seemed fine so i increased my pace gradually until at one point i felt a twinge in my knee again. Since then ive been going out for the odd run but after about two to three miles the problem reoccurs. About six months after the crosscountry run i had the knee x-rayed and was told that the knee was healthy, the doctor looked at the knee and i showed him where there was a slight lump but he said that everyone who is thin will have this as its just part of the bone. I know myself that it is swollen because it wasnt that swollen before plus it doesnt protrude as much on the side of the left knee. I have had a consultation with a physio who told me that there was slightly less muscle on my left leg and the arch of my right foot is slightly flatter than the left. She gave me exercises to strenghten my quads which ive tried to follow doing them as regularly as i can but i havent been too enthusiastic about. Ive spent 200 pounds on having orthotics made for my feet and the problem still hasnt gone, I am told that i may well have caused some damage to my knee. If anyone has experienced the same problem I would be grateful for some advice.

thanks

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'm running the Bristol half in a couple of weeks, and this will be my first ever race of any kind. I have gradually got up to 10 miles and am now really suffering with a sore knee as well, I felt really good once I got back from my run but in the morning coming downstairs was murder, upstairs is better and walking feels fine - not sure what is going on, is it still safe to continue training or time for a rest ??

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Repag - is your pain on the outside of your knee and does the pain gradually come on during your run? Look up illiotibial band friction syndrome (ITBS).

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
Repag - is your pain on the outside of your knee and does the pain gradually come on during your run? Look up illiotibial band friction syndrome (ITBS).
Thanks for the reply, it's on the outside of the knee, really causes a problem going on the stairs but seems fine when walking, start to feel it when I start running again very quickly.

I'll look up ITBS and have a look

Thanks again.

Paul.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After researching on the internet I thought that my problem might have been ilio tibial band syndrome, but neither the doctor, chiropodist or physio mentioned it. Your symptoms are very similar to mine repag the problem with me is ive had mine for over 2 years so im thinking that might rule out ITBS. Heres a website with some itbs stretches http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/itb_stretch/

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
You don't usually get a swelling with ITBS

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im told my problem is bio mechanical, I dont think I have itbs, I might just have weak quads on the right leg and they're less developed than on the left. My strenghtening exercises havent worked though.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I have a biomechanical problem and that has caused ITBS in my case and I've also suffered with piriformis syndrome and the last two vertebrae have become locked. This is contributed to general tightening in my pelvis. My knees ache, my hips ache and my back aches.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you flat footed at all? My chiropodist told me that problems that originate from the feet can lead to other problems right up to the jawline as a result of years of poor foot posture.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Yes I've had my gait analysed by a podiatrist - I'm picking up my orthotics tomorrow. I'm hoping they will make a big difference

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im sure they will, mine havent really worked for me so far, my injury is more down to overuse. Im still glad I bought the orthotics though, im sure they'll prevent other problems in the future.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Thanks very much for all the responses, I'm actually going to see a sports physio at lunchtime, I'll report back what she has to say.

as for being flat footed........ they made the description just for me !! :eek:

·
Registered
123 Posts
There's a history of "flat-feet" in my family and its always best to get orthotics from a podiatrist, they cost a bit, but its worth it. I was found to be overpronating by 15 degrees out of the normal angle and since I've had the orthotics, I have no pain in my knees (I was getting pain in them at 16 which was worrying) but I stress the importance as flat-feet can be the precursor to many more serious problems such as arthritis, hunch-backed, etc etc.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Reporting back as promised;

I do indeed have / had a case of ITB, a quick massage from the physio and told what stretches to go etc has made a huge difference. Managed to run 10 miles last night (feeling really chuffed as that is the furthest ever for me!!), came home and did the warm down stretches / ice pack and although I can feel it, it's no where near as bad as it was !! :d

In hindsight, should I manage to keep running going after the Bristol half then I would alter my training programme to incorporate things such as swimming, cycling etc.

Someone might find the above interesting !

Thanks for all the input.

Paul.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts