Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I'm crap at it :lol:

Run 1km? No problem! Swim the same distance and there's an old guy skinning me in the outside lane!

I don't think I'm built for it, but I needed to do some low-impact exercise this week because of a calf pull.

I also had a quick look on a calorie calculator type thing to see how swimming compares to running. I was knackered when I got out of the pool but had burned less than a third of the calories that I did on my last long run. It leads me to wonder how beneficial it really is as a cross training session :confused:

Another thing... it's so boring! up and down, up and down, up and down the same 25 metres over and again - the only person who seemed more bored than me was the lifeguard! :d At least when you're out running you've got a bit of scenery!

Does anybody swim regularly? Seems to me like it'd be tough to keep motivated if swimming were my thing!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I love swimming and it is a nice change for the old joints. That said I don't go lots. In part as it costs and you have to share the pool with the great unwashed :p

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I'm not a particularly strong swimmer and so I don't do it generally. But a couple of years ago I rented a house in the South of France and it had a swimming pool. I forced myself to swim a mile everyday (to help work off all that great French food) and it was hard. It took me 30 minutes to swim a mile and I always wanted to collapse after. It completely drained me.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I love swimming, but don't go as often as I'd like to, due to running and going to the gym.

I can manage about 25m at a time before needing to stop - if I went more often, I be a lot better at swimming.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I hate swimming; which is very inconvenient as I play underwater hockey (in a swimming pool) and swimming is the best training you can do for it. I actually think the UWH has ruined swimming for me because swimming lengths is so boring, especially in comparison to UWH.

I really need to start doing it more though; I'm thinking about getting a Nu Dolphin MP3 player (waterproof - designed for swimming) because listening to music whilst running was the only thing that got me past the difficult beginning stages of running. Hopefully it would do the same with swimming. Can't imagine feeling about swimming the way I do about running though

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I went swimming a while back as I thought it would be good cross training - and picked up a groin injury that laid me off for a month!

I can relate to what people say about it being a lot harder than running - but that's prob because you're using muscles in a different way from running and you're not used to to it.

I must get back to the pool once in a while now the kids have stopped taking the local place over as their youth club! (am lucky to have a pool 2 minutes walk from my house so there's no excuse!) :cool:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
...I'm crap at it :lol:

Run 1km? No problem! Swim the same distance and there's an old guy skinning me in the outside lane!

I don't think I'm built for it, but I needed to do some low-impact exercise this week because of a calf pull.

I also had a quick look on a calorie calculator type thing to see how swimming compares to running. I was knackered when I got out of the pool but had burned less than a third of the calories that I did on my last long run. It leads me to wonder how beneficial it really is as a cross training session :confused:

Another thing... it's so boring! up and down, up and down, up and down the same 25 metres over and again - the only person who seemed more bored than me was the lifeguard! :d At least when you're out running you've got a bit of scenery!

Does anybody swim regularly? Seems to me like it'd be tough to keep motivated if swimming were my thing!
Hi roadrunner

Swimming is my main activity; I used to swim competitively in my youth and was a pool attendant for many years.

I swim on average 5 times a week and cover 2 to 3k each session, sometimes more. Sometimes this is just a non stop swim or most of the time I break it down into sets. Look to a distance that you can cover comfortably at around 75% effort, say 100 meters and see how long it takes you to cover the distance at 75% effort. If for instance it takes you 2 minutes then doing 10 of these sets going off 2 minutes 30 seconds means you will cover 1k quite fast, keeping your heart rate up but with some recovery time. When I do this I usually do 15X100m going off 2 minutes; swimming at 75-80% means I cover the 100 meters in 1 min 25 secs giving me a 35 second recovery time.

The other option is the pyramid swim. An example is

200 100
300 200 100
400 300 200 100 = 3k
300 200 100
200 100

If you reduce the first line to

then the pyramid would be

200 100
300 200 100 = 1.4k
200 100

You can also vary your stroke; front crawl, backstroke, breaststroke and do some legs and arms only.

Don’t forget to warm up before the main sets and cool down after your swim

Good luck:d

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi roadrunner

Swimming is my main activity; I used to swim competitively in my youth and was a pool attendant for many years.

I swim on average 5 times a week and cover 2 to 3k each session, sometimes more. Sometimes this is just a non stop swim or most of the time I break it down into sets. Look to a distance that you can cover comfortably at around 75% effort, say 100 meters and see how long it takes you to cover the distance at 75% effort. If for instance it takes you 2 minutes then doing 10 of these sets going off 2 minutes 30 seconds means you will cover 1k quite fast, keeping your heart rate up but with some recovery time. When I do this I usually do 15X100m going off 2 minutes; swimming at 75-80% means I cover the 100 meters in 1 min 25 secs giving me a 35 second recovery time.

The other option is the pyramid swim. An example is

200 100
300 200 100
400 300 200 100 = 3k
300 200 100
200 100

If you reduce the first line to

then the pyramid would be

200 100
300 200 100 = 1.4k
200 100

You can also vary your stroke; front crawl, backstroke, breaststroke and do some legs and arms only.

Don’t forget to warm up before the main sets and cool down after your swim

Good luck:d
Thank you :)

I would vary my stroke if I didn't look like I was drowning for most of them :lol: BUT... I am going to swim more because my osteopath recommended it to help strengthen my hip muscles after a fairly major readjustment! I'll know who to come to for advice in future :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts