Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,
I am a newbie to this site and have not run since my school days 25 yrs ago . I am now 42 yrs old. I have now been running for approx 7 weeks and have run 5 miles in 33.53 and 5k in 20.37. Are there good times for my age as i feel when i start a race it takes me at least one mile before i get into my stride? I normally finish a race quite strongly as well.
Any comments would be appreciated
Regards Coxy

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I`m a few years older than you and have been running a year.I wouldn`t get anywhere near those times.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yep excellent times. I\'m a fair amount younger than you and am nowhere near those times yet. I\'ve been running for 2 years.

Why not do a mile easy warm up before a race, then you should be in your stride as soon as the gun goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not even close

Most impressive! My only race was a 44 minute 5 miles, and felt that was not bad for a 50 yr old newbie.

But I do know what you mean about it taking a while to get into your stride. I find that I feel sluggish for about the first mile every time I run. I was reading an exercise physiology book that described that anerobic glycosis is the main energy source starting out but that aerobic metabolism takes over later - perhaps this is the difference?

I've not had any medical training, so this is pure speculation. And it seems odd that it takes so long for my muscles to get the oxygen they need.

Any knowledgeable physiologists out there?

Regards, Drusy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts