Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing my first half in two weeks and was wondering what sort of distances i should be doing.
For the last two weekends i have done 12 miles so was thinking of about 8 this weekend and 6 the following. (Due to having a cold i haven't been out since last weeks long run).
The plan i've been loosely following says 12miles this week but not sure if chest is up to it.
Any advice would be appreciated.
P.S only be doing this since Dec and hoping to finish half in 3hrs.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Don't risk it if you've got a chest infection maybe do some cross training instead to keep your fitness levels up. You've got the miles in your legs so you should be ok but Steve Trinity or any of the other seasonsed long distance runners will give you some good advice.

I did 8 miles last Monday (and 5 miles and Saturday to keep my mileage up). I'm doing the Ivybridge 10K tonight so I probably won't be running tomorrow. Next Saturday I'm planning on doing 6/7 miles. I would have like to do one more last long run before the half but its not quite worked out that way.

How long did it take do complete 12 miles?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply and hope all went well for the 10k at least the weather has been dry for you.
I did the 12 in 2hrs 50 - hoping for sub 3hrs for the half but main aim is to finish.
I got soaked this morning managed 8 in 1hr 50. I intend to do a couple of short runs in the week (1 at club) and then the same as you next weekend.
I am starting to feel really nervous. One worry i have is i struggle for the first 2 or 3 miles and don't want to look silly if i have to take walking breaks during this time.
Confidence is not my middle name

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
If you have to take a walk break take one - Geoff Galloway a big advocator of run/walk technique says its best to take walk breaks as early as possible so you are fresher towards the end.

The 10K went really well tried not to make the mistake of setting off two quick and at the start we were last but we soon moved up. There is a nasty hill up from Bittaford to Moorhaven (under the viaduct don't know if you are familiar with it) I managed to run up that slowly and encourage my training partner Tracy. For some reason at 7Ks I got it into my head that I was running 8Ks and started to pick up the pace a little, which meant I started to run out off puff in the last 2Ks so had to take some walk beaks during the last hill before the finish still manged to finish it in uder an hour so am very pleased with myself.

Firstimer - you've put in the training you will finish the half and it doesn't matter if you have to walk some of it - taking part is the amazing thing.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Well done SE.

Under an hour...........:d

You`ve got every reason to be pleased with yourself.

Keep at it Firsttimer.It looks to me that your making good and steady progress.

I`ve got a 5 mile race in the morning.Looks like it will be in the rain.

I don`t like the rain much ,but it`s better than the warm sunshine when your running I suppose.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Thanks Dave offical time was 59:40 thinking about goin out today to do a really last long run b4 the half. My legs feel fine but shoulder is still aching.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Dave, hope 5 miler went well.
SE did you really brave it in all that rain?
I found my back and shoulders really ached after my first 12miler but better on the second. I must tense when running- i can hear Dotty now - relax, relax!!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I woke up this morning feeling really good no achey bits. Got to Burrator it was tipping it - managed one lap got soaked to the skin. Felt wet, tired and miserable - it also occurred to me that doing 3 laps would take me over a 10% increase so got in the car and drove back home.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
sounds like a good plan to me SE, well done by the way in your 10k

Firstimmer I have seen lots of people walking/running in the early miles of a half marathon so don't think anything of it if you have to do it, every runner understands we all have different levels, doesn't mean your not putting in the same effort, and like SE says you have done all the hard work now, so if your're not feeling up to it rest, or it could affect you on the day, best of luck TT

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks TT.
sounds like you did the right thing SE. I can't believe you actually left the house and ran 1 lap!! what dedication- or just plain mad!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts