Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a beginner and will be running a half-marathon in October. I ran 7.91 miles in an hour and a half last week, which means I could run the half-marathon in two hours 28 minutes if I tried tomorrow.

The thing is, I would love to be able to run it in under two hours. Is it possible to push myself hard enough through training to achieve this or I aiming too high?

Any suggestions or tips in how to achieve this would also be very welcome.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Well done on signing up for a half-marathon, if your anything like me, you will love it :)

From experience you will run slightly faster during a race than you do while out training. Whats your furthest run so far?

You may also find that your second hour is slower than your first, simply because you become tired.

I have ran three 1/2 marathons this year (my first year of running) and it wasnt until the 3rd that I managed to get under the 2 hour mark. Its hard to say whether you will be able to do it without knowing what your furthest run has been. I would say, go to enjoy the race and if you get under two hours then brilliant but the most important bit is just to finish :)

O.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I agree with Owain, you do tend to run a bit faster at a race.

I'd suggest building your long run up to 10-12 miles over the next month or two, and also do some speedworkonce a week as well.

The main thing is to enjoy the race, whatever time you get will be a PB

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
If you concentrate on getting your body used to being on it's feet and running then naturally your efficiency will improve, combined with some shorter runs at a faster pace you should be able to knock a reasonable chunk out of 2hrs30. Whether you'll crack 2 hours is a bit of an unknown atm - if you could give us a bit more detail about your longest runs, your fastest shorter runs etc it might help to suggest where you should focus your efforts a little better :)

Good luck for the race whatever happens :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Time-based

It's hard to say exactly the furthest I have run because I am doing a training programme based on time, rather than distance. I reckon that probably is the furthest I have run though, 7.91 miles in an hour and a half.

I am just about to go out on a run to try and do 5.5 miles in an hour, so will let you know if I am successful!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts