Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi There - no - I think it actually helps to be honest. I have been running with stomach cramps but after a few minutes they disappear and I can do a good run. WHat do you do???

·
Registered
105 Posts
It just depends how I'm feeling. I can have particularly bad months when I can barely walk around the house ... let alone run anywhere! This is usually followed by a good month that I can breeze through with no problem at all. I really envy women who don't have problems when it comes to "that" time of the month ... I'd love to be one of them! :embarrassed:

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
What about us men we suffer at that time of the month as well doesn't stop us running
Just glad to get out of the house:rolleyes: :eek:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
oh, that's ok then Jo... :) I just thought some bloke was getting a bit pervy :confused:

I always find it better to get out and run personally

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
LOL Trin

I am the same as you, I tend to get out too and have raced aswell.

:embarrassed:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree that it's good to run at that time of the month. I felt rubbish with it this morning, popped a feminax and went out for a nice gentle couple of miles, and must say felt MUCH better for it!

My 10k PB was set when on my period too :d Hope that's not too much information :eek:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't do anything but take to my bed for the first day if i can help it. After that I can carry on without any troubles at all thankfully.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree, even if i am in real bad pain, as i can be some months, after 10 mins i feel much better. I tend to find i do really strong runs just before my period for some reason.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Back to this topic again...I was ran for about 4k upa hill and on the way down stomach cramps kicked in and I found myself not even being able to walk they were that painful! This ever happened to anyone? After about 10 mins the pan subsided and I got home, but it wore me out!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I am currently 'on' - and went to a club race last night - was really thinking of not doing it, and it was raining and I felt really crampy... I took an Ibuprofen before I left the house, and I got my best ever time/pace over the 4 miles we did. I think sometimes the worse something appears to be, its a matter of just doing it... then you can sometimes surprise yourself. I have had some of the fastest runs when I have been in that frame of mind beforehand - I have NO idea how it works!!!! (Maybe its just because I want it to be over soon!!)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I couldn't enjoy my run this morning. Nothing to do with the rain - that part I enjoyed. But I just couldn't shake the heavy legs and miserable feeling, no matter how hard I tried. Well, by the end of the run, I was just perking up, but it was a bit late then.

Then I burst into tears when I hit a couple of tangles when combing through my hair after washing it :lol: and suddenly remembered that it was PMT time. I'm wondering now if that's why I felt so low during the run.

Has anyone else noticed that they find their PM runs are more of a struggle than normal?

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I find that if I run just before I am on - it helps me, particularly psychologically, clear my head of irrational scary thoughts and paranoia! It really varies - but I think its a good plan to get some fresh air. However yes - it might just put these thoughts/emotions 'on hold' so something silly like finding a spot can set me off!! I wish it didn't but at the end of the day - we are female, and cannot help these things! I guess it really depends if you are on the pill, what type you are on.. etc etc. Sometimes I feel I pump the aggression into a faster/stronger run - almost like I have a shot of testosterone... but I try and use this to my advantage! I don't plan races around my cycles though.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm one of the lucky ones I guess - the running actually helps. I don't get too much pain anyway, but when I do the running helps not only that, but the hormonal imbalance so I don't get as emotional as I used to before running!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Ahhhh saggy old clothcat! :)

To be honest - I think running is like a cloak, and it masks how our body really feels... like illness and emotions... I think we are almost just running on adrenalin. At the end of the day it all still comes out somehow .... a bloody good cry is called for sometimes to feel better - so maybe the answer is to trigger this when it suits you... by watching ET or Braveheart (whatever gets the floodgates open!!!)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I guess I am lucky too...

I came on on the morning of the London marathon this year... and went on to get a 9 minute PB

Amsterdam marathon was 3 days before 'day 1', and another PB! :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts