Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I do a fair bit of cross Training and one element of it is that I do 2 spinning classes a week at different times of the year. The classesa are great lasting about 60 minutes with a good mixture of interval work which get the heart and lungs pumping.:)

My two questions would be:

1.Because of the interval nature of a sipinning class could it count as a speed session for running?

2.What would be the equivelant run session - to the 60 minutes of cardio in the spinning class?

Also be very interested in hearing others thoughts on this form of excercise if you do it, as I've been finding it brilliant!:d

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I watch it on YouTube and that wore me out. I think the beauty of it is the fact it works different muscles to the running. I don't know how you would directly compare it though.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Never tried spinning, but my female friends that do it always look wrecked after a session. Either it's really hardcore or my friends are just unfit.

Anyway, some gym instructor shouting instructions at me doesn't float my boat. I'm a loner baby ;)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
In answer you your question... unfortunately it doesn't directly count as a speed interval session for running. That kind of training needs to be specific to the sport your training in

Spinning will help your stamina though

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
someone once said to me that running use's different leg muscles to cycling (one uses the front of the leg and the other uses the back).. and as such has no direct benift on training other than stamina etc..

i dont know if this relates to spinning though..

·
Registered
516 Posts
I do spin classes twice a week. For a long time recently I was spinning three times per week. It has helped my running in a couple of ways. Firstly my CV fitness is significantly higher than it used to be.

Secondly my legs are given a well earned break for impact exercise, and most importantly for me - it has helped build up my upper leg muscles, as the classes I choose are more designed toward slower tougher hill climbs in higher gears rather than spinning like a madman in lower gears (which is kinda pointless in my opinion) this in turn has helped take some strain off my calf muscles and long suffering achilles when running. It's helping me manage my long term lower leg injuries.

Although Spinning is very very tough (I often feel physically sick and very weak legged after the harder classes) I swear by them and would recommend them to anyone looking for a non impact session.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have no idea what this spinning is?

The only spinning I used to do was after a bottle of Jack on a bad night :(

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
as has been said, it can certainly improve your running... though this is through improving your fitness levels rather than specifically building strength in the running muscles. I think any comparison to an 'equivalent running session' could be wildly open to interpretation and debate... I just can't see how it's quantifiable!

If your CV system needs a boost... go for it! It'll definately help and without the extra pounding that additional running sessions would bring :)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
agree wtih trin.

spinning intervals for sure will help with cardio efficiency but thats only one benefit of speed work, the other should be specific muscular development for running (i.e. improved muscle memory, form, efficiency).

spin classes are VERY variable too, depending on the session's aims and the instructor. some can be very cardio, some more leg strength with high resistance.... some upper body too with stupid press ups on the bars type things.

for a gym bunny or overall fitness, fine.
for specific training needs for running or even cycling, debatable.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I still don't know what it is! Does it involve hula hoops? :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
RRR... it's people pedalling frantically to loud music on exercise bikes arranged in a circle or semi circle with some crazy gym instructor shouting at them to keep going, push harder etc... :)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
RRR... it's people pedalling frantically to loud music on exercise bikes arranged in a circle or semi circle with some crazy gym instructor shouting at them to keep going, push harder etc... :)
Oh I see. Is it on the program for London 2012? :d

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I've been desperately trying to get a picture from 'Romy and Michele's High School Reunion' where they are doing it in inappropriate clubbing/girly gear (stillettos) - but to no avail :(

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I still don't know what it is! Does it involve hula hoops? :lol:
It's like aerobics on a bike.... you use the tension wheel a lot, cycle sit down, cycle stand up, sprint etc

I used to go, until work got in the way... it's a good work out :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Ahhhh now I know what you're all on about! I saw a news report about this not long ago. Sounds like hell; my legs are usually like spaghetti after a 10-minute bike ride at a leisurely pace to be honest!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I know from personal experience that being good on the stationary bike doesn't = good at running. I think my confusion over discepancy in ability was the basis of my first posts. I did interval training on the bike for the best part of a year only to find I couldn't run on a treadmill for any more than about 15 minutes at "Nanna" pace. (Still can't come to think of it :mad:) I don't suppose your heart cares wether its feet or wheels causing it to top 175bpm though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts