Runners Forum banner

4161 - 4180 of 4180 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great Rachel.. you are doing fab. and thank you. i go to tje gym at work which is why i still get to gym on shift but i dislike running on treadmills so wont do that but I love the classes so do that. i am hoping my shift goes back to normal soon.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Great, Rachel...... I only just got back out due to my shifts :( but have been still at the gym but I really need to get back out consistently running as I am doing okay just now.....Just completed Week 5 #2 but as the runs start to get longer if I don't get out regular I will possibly struggle. time will tell....but so far so good.
Great Rachel.. you are doing fab. and thank you. i go to tje gym at work which is why i still get to gym on shift but i dislike running on treadmills so wont do that but I love the classes so do that. i am hoping my shift goes back to normal soon.
If you can't do 2 - 3 runs every week there will likely come a point where you struggle and you might have to repeat a week.

Since you have access to a gym, use the static bikes. If you ride hard enough to get your heart rate and breathing up similar to when running then that will help with the cardio aspect as well as some parts of leg strength. The gym bike should tell you rpm; you want to keep that around 70 - 90 which is equivalent to a running cadence of 140 - 180. Change the resistance to make it harder/easier. If you know your actual running cadence then aim for that, but it doesn't matter too much.

Don't treat the bike as a replacement for having run, though. Part of the point of C25K is to get you there without getting injured and the bike won't train you for the high impact of running. So when you do run again, start from the same place as you left off.

I don't know what classes you're doing, but whilst they are helpful to do in addition to running they probably won't do anything to maintain your running fitness.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you can't do 2 - 3 runs every week there will likely come a point where you struggle and you might have to repeat a week.

Since you have access to a gym, use the static bikes. If you ride hard enough to get your heart rate and breathing up similar to when running then that will help with the cardio aspect as well as some parts of leg strength. The gym bike should tell you rpm; you want to keep that around 70 - 90 which is equivalent to a running cadence of 140 - 180. Change the resistance to make it harder/easier. If you know your actual running cadence then aim for that, but it doesn't matter too much.

Don't treat the bike as a replacement for having run, though. Part of the point of C25K is to get you there without getting injured and the bike won't train you for the high impact of running. So when you do run again, start from the same place as you left off.

I don't know what classes you're doing, but whilst they are helpful to do in addition to running they probably won't do anything to maintain your running fitness.

think i will jack it on for now as unfortunately cant get out regular due to shifts at moment. i love the gym classes offered at work and do a mix of metafit, cardio circuits, strength circuits, body pump and combat and boxercise so i get enough exercise in which is the main thing... but i used to love running and i wanted to get back to it but guess until i get a nirmal shift aint gonna happen. de-motovated Carol250 out. good luck to every1 else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok @Carol250. The worst that happened was my phone gave up, so I was missing Jo Whiley on the Public Health England App spurring me on and letting me know where I was at!

I did wonder why my ankles ached a bit when I ran? I have out this down to running on pavements and getting used to this, rather than anything being wrong with my new trainers - Saucony Omni 15. No idea if this correct though.
Hi there :)
During my C25K I had sore knees by week 2 and by week 6 strained tendons in my ankles. I had to have a break of about 5 weeks but following that and now 6 months later, I run 5 k about 4 times a week BUT I do so with the following.
Knees - get tight fitting knee supports and wear with every run, they just help support the knees
Ankles - get the same sock type supports to give you that extra stability. Your shoes are fine for stability but as you are new to running you need extra help.
It may be 2 years before you train without the knee supports! however, there are some good strength exercises you should do with your ankles straight away because if you strain them you will really damage yourself and it will put you out of action for weeks.

1. Raise up and down onto your tiptoes in a steady motion 20 times, then rest for 45 seconds and repeat another 20, then again. Until you have done whats called 3 reps of 20. This will begin to strengthen your calf muscles and ankle ligaments and you will feel the difference after only a couple of weeks.
2. Don't only run. You need some core strength as well, so on your rest days try and find a bit of time to strengthen your muscles, you can do this at home with a good DVD or if you are motivated get to the gym.

The core strength will really help you burn fat, loose weight and support your body whilst it learns how to run.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks @Rhymie I'm not having any leg problems now at Week 4 but will bare this in mind if I do have any further issues.

I know that I need to start cross training. Ive just had a cold that lingered for 2 weeks, so will start this week or next with something that fits the bill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I join the forum today and took up running today :)
Completed Week 1, Day 1 and it was hard.
Was as red as a post box and sucking in air like a hoover.

Was planning on doing day 2 tomorrow, but in an unrelated incident, I managed to rip the nail clean off one of my toes and have a feeling that's going to give me some stick if I try to run on it... time will tell

·
Registered
811 Posts
Was planning on doing day 2 tomorrow, but in an unrelated incident, I managed to rip the nail clean off one of my toes and have a feeling that's going to give me some stick if I try to run on it... time will tell
Don't do 2 days in a row. Always make sure there's at least 1 rest day between runs. The rest is important to allow your body to recover and rebuild itself stronger. Once your fitness is at a level that you can comfortably run 5K you can think about doing 2 days in a row, but not before.

If you don't heed this advice you'll find yourself too tired to do the session properly and you'll end up with a high chance of injuring yourself.

Sorry about the toenail, that's probably going to hurt :) I've never had that problem so can't really offer any advice on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't do 2 days in a row. Always make sure there's at least 1 rest day between runs.
Yes, I realise I should have taken a day off today and any other time, I would have, but I knew with my works schedule over the bank holiday weekend, if I didn't run today, it would have been Monday before I got another run in.

I did everything I could to prevent injury (stretching, warm up etc), but against my better judgment, advice, logic, and reason... I finished week 1 day 2 today

·
Registered
7 Posts
Week one finished...
Feeling good, no injuries despite not planning my week very well

Week 2 starts tomorrow morning and I'm planning on running Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good work.. I have just completed week 2 day 3 so at a similar point as you..

Always said I wasnt a runner and never saw the purpose of why people did this for fun. My wife has been running now for a while and built up through C25K and has entered her first 8k run.

I seem to be doing well so far with this and now cant wait to get back out and try and push myself further.

My cardio ability seems to be a little ahead of my muscles/physical ability so is testing still.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Started this last night and to start off with it about killed me lol. Doesn't help that i have asthma and i smoke.

I will admit though as it went on i found it got a fraction easier.

Week 1 day 2 will happen Friday night

·
Registered
811 Posts
Started this last night and to start off with it about killed me lol. Doesn't help that i have asthma and i smoke.

I will admit though as it went on i found it got a fraction easier.

Week 1 day 2 will happen Friday night
Good luck on Friday :)

I used to smoke so I know how hard it is to stop and I know that you know that you should stop. But, consider this:

Running is massively dependant on your lungs and a large part of training, including the Couch 2 5K, is about improving your ability to get oxygen into your bloodstream.

Smoking takes all that work and throws it out of the window.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good luck to every one sound C25K.
I ran Week 6 run 3 today. It still amazes me that I have got to here, ran (including warm up/warm down walk) 4.7km today and for 25 mins non stop. Not the easiest but I did it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I completed my Couch to 5k a while ago, however I just want to say how great it is reading over all your post about doing the couch to 5k especially those of you who have woken up early and have been finding ways to fit in running time around your families, and work life commitments, Your all super awesome and its great to see more people joining the world of running!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Week 4 day 1 done today.

Running for 5 mins was quite daunting but I did it... twice in fact ha ha...

I love waking up early to get out now and should be doing my next run on Tuesday with a rest tomorrow.

Its amazing how it sets you up for the day..

I need to do something now that I can do in my non running days which gives me the same feeling. Dont have a bike and need to change gyms to one that opens earlier.

Keep up the good work fellow c25k'ers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well all..... I completed the C25k..... so happy I didn't get disheartened by the negative people who think their way is the only way.

4161 - 4180 of 4180 Posts