Runners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 4180 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
It's great running in the rain isn't it :) I love it. That's as long as it's not cold! Why not skip Saturday, have a great time Friday night and go for your runs on Thursday and Sunday instead?

For some reason, my daughter, who I have always had to wake if I needed her up before 9, is starting to wake between 5:45 and 7. No idea why, teeth? Either way, it means I can't get out! Usually it's more like 7 which is ok. I think I'm going to have to get to bed earlier and set my alarm for 5. I might try to get out later this evening, fitting it in around dinner, clearing up, bedtime etc! Maybe it will force me to be careful with what I eat today so I don't make things harder. :)
It wasn't too bad to begin with, just a bit of drizzle. (enjoyed that bit) I got about halfway through, then the heavens opened. I'll get out on Saturday at some point and I'm starting week 2 on Sunday. I can only really get out for a run when I'm not working because I'm out of the house for about 12 hours when I'm at work, so don't get time to run. Hope you manage to get out later today.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Vicki, I'm all excited about your W5D3 run! I hope you get out later.

Sam, happy birthday for Friday! 30 is a good birthday. :)

I'm supposed to be running today. I haven't got out yet! The last two days have been a dental emergency nightmare with the 12 year old. (The 10 year old threw a phone at his face in a, um, heated debate...) His front tooth is broken, so the dentist tried to build it up, bonded white filling stuff, which broke again after 24 hours. We went back first thing this morning and he has built it up less this time. (It looks chipped now, but not completely messed up).

We are off to Cornwall on Sunday, I hope the tooth holds out for 2 weeks....

Anyway, maybe a run will clear my head and de-stress me. Maybe! It is beginning to drizzle here, but it is still humid and feel warm. I might go in half an hour.

·
Registered
60 Posts
W4D2 done. :)

After all my previous runs, I felt good and said 'I enjoyed that'. Afterwards.
This one today was the first one that I said to myself 'this is good, I'm enjoying this' while I was still running!! It was also the first one where I didn't want to give up at some point! I am amazed! :D I'm not saying W4D3 will be the same, but I just wanted to share.

My breathing felt easier this time. It wasn't too bad before, I just felt I was breathing really easily during today's run. I really, really hope I feel the same in 2 days time. (I feel like going again tomorrow....hmm..should I?)

Hope everyone's having a good day.

Fi :)

P.S. The run definitely cleared my head and made me forget any stresses and worries.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I already posted in here but it was on my iPhone and didn't go through - it went something like this...

WooooooooooooHooooooooooooooo

:d :d :d

Week 5, Run 3 cracked!

Happy happy happy happy happy me.

:) :)

I finally managed to get out, 2 hours after dinner and with a scary thundery sky overhead! I was nervous of the sky, so ran relatively slowly because I didn't want to be too far from home if the heavens opened! <--coward

Yes I like rain, but not a full on storm! Luckily it passed.

I'll post details on my blog tomorrow or later and try to remember to copy to here. It was great let's just say that! :)

Fi well done on your week 4 run 2 - it's great to be enjoying it now!

Catch up soon x

(chuffed)

(edit: it only allowed 6 images so I had to edit my extreme use of smiles lol)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
:D Sounds like you are doing really well :) Enjoy the buzz!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yay Vicki! :D

Really impressed! There's no stopping you now! :D

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Thank you Fi and Katey. If anyone is interested i've posted details on my blog.

I'm a bit annoyed that I set runkeeper for the whole thing including the walking. I must remember to just set it on the last run of week 6 to get an accurate pace.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I seem to have been on holiday in Somerset!! still carried on with the routine and did W2D1 yesterday...not as bad as I thought it would be. day 2 tomorrow. Thansk for adding your tales here folks...very motivating!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I seem to have been on holiday in Somerset!! still carried on with the routine and did W2D1 yesterday...not as bad as I thought it would be. day 2 tomorrow. Thansk for adding your tales here folks...very motivating!
Good on you for keeping it up whilst on holiday, very impressive! When you have a good day it really helps to boost your motivation too doesn't it? Have a good day 2.

·
Registered
60 Posts
W4D3 done! I have finished week 4! :D

Week 5, here I come! Vicki, you're my inspiration! I'm looking forward to it. Week 5 and 6 will be done in Cornwall, hopefully, I will try to stick to the program. I'll log on here when I can. (I log on here every morning now, but I am in no way obsessed with this running lark!! Honest!)

Keep running everyone!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi everyone, good to see that everyone is continuing to do well.....

Well I am back from deepest darkest Wales and delighted to have a mobile phone signal and internet connection again. I ran amongst sheep, cows and a whole load of flies during this weeks programme, bad times. But there were no badgers, good times!

Anyway, Yesterday I completed week 5, I must say that day 2 was a little shock to the system and I failed to notice untill the morning of the run that I was expected to do two lots of 8 minute runs. That was a bit of a shock, but the 5 minute break in between the two 8 minute runs was most welcomed.

Yesterday was difficult. I completed day 3 but I had to stop at the 13 minute mark and walk for 1 minute (well it was halfway up a massive hill) but even though I feel like I failed to run for the whole 20 minutes without stopping, I did manage to complete the 20 minute run .

Sunday I might start week 6, but I am half tempted to re do week 5, just to get my confidence back up a bit. One thing I have noticed is nowadays my legs ache no more and it only takes about 3 minutes of running out of breathe to settle into more of a controlled breathing routine.

Well done Fi and Vicki and keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
W4D3 done! I have finished week 4! :D

Week 5, here I come! Vicki, you're my inspiration! I'm looking forward to it. Week 5 and 6 will be done in Cornwall, hopefully, I will try to stick to the program. I'll log on here when I can. (I log on here every morning now, but I am in no way obsessed with this running lark!! Honest!)

Keep running everyone!
Well done on completing week 4! :tup: My sister is coming up from Cornwall on Sunday for the week :) She moved there about 7 years ago with her family and they all love it.

I'm on here all the time on my iPhone - I get obsessed over things easily!

I ran amongst sheep, cows and a whole load of flies during this weeks programme, bad times. But there were no badgers, good times!
Lol - this is my 'normal'. Well...not so many cows anymore but flies? Loads of the bleedin' things! Horrible isn't it.

Yesterday was difficult. I completed day 3 but I had to stop at the 13 minute mark and walk for 1 minute (well it was halfway up a massive hill) but even though I feel like I failed to run for the whole 20 minutes without stopping, I did manage to complete the 20 minute run.
Well done :D The hill clearly didn't help. I probably wouldn't have managed a full 20 minute on a hill. Maybe if you did it again on flatter ground you wont need to stop?

Sunday I might start week 6, but I am half tempted to re do week 5, just to get my confidence back up a bit. One thing I have noticed is nowadays my legs ache no more and it only takes about 3 minutes of running out of breathe to settle into more of a controlled breathing routine.
Maybe you could do the 20 minute one or the 2x8's again? See how you feel. You did only walk for one minute during the entire 20 minutes so you did much better than you think! I bet week 6 will be easier than you're anticipating.

I get out of breath early on too isn't that weird. Wonder if everyone gets that before calming into a rhythm.

I didn't get to run today :( Very disappointed. My daughter once again woke up early. I couldn't go this evening as she didn't go to bed till 9 and we were busy doing boring chores and things, didn't have dinner until well gone 7 and I can't run on a full stomach.

Hoping the little lady wont be awake early tomorrow as I really need to get week 6 underway so I don't lose momentum. Absolutely hate not being able to run (she is a little beauty though and worth it!).

·
Registered
588 Posts
Fi - Well done on completing week 4 and hope week 5 goes smoothly for you.

Vicki - Hope you manage to get out tomorrow morning.

Philhip - Congrats on completing week 5

Well, I will be completing week 1 tomorrow. Feeling really positive. I have tried to get into running a few times now, but this is the only time that I have really enjoyed it. Can't wait to get out for my next run, but I'm mindful not to overdo it.

I will let you know how I get on with W1D3 at some point tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
well done you lot
im jumping a few weeks
ive played 5 a side football twice a week until about 6 months ago and cut it down to once a week .

so ive skipped a week every session, i did week 3 tonight and found it a bit tougher
so im starting week 4 day 1 sunday and im gonna see out the course from there

·
Registered
588 Posts
Week 1 complete! :) Felt good again today, even managed the hills without any problems. When I got halfway round my circuit, I had a sudden burst of energy and was flying for the last half :)

Got a bit of a twinge in my ankle again, nothing too bad, but looking at my foot whilst walking, I noticed that it rolls inwards quite a lot. Might be time to get my gait analysed and spend some of my birthday money :)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Let us know Sam it's great to complete Week one.

Keith I love doing the course exactly as its laid out as it builds endurance and stamina, not just overall fitness. But you have to use it how it suits you, the main thing is you're getting out there and running! :)

Well I started week 6 today. There I was on a Saturday morning, 7 o'clock running in the rain!! Mad.

Only on iphone so no details, just that it wasn't as easy as id hoped but I think partly down to me, not the programme. I don't think I was in the best 'i can do it' mind! Still, I did it. :)

There was a weird spooky moment but I can go into details later!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congratulatons Sam. Sounds like your doing great. It's such a great feeling when you have finished the first week.

Good luck with week 4 Keith, week 4 was my most enjoyable week so far and I felt great when I had completed it.

Well done Vicki - your really flying now, I would have loved to have ran in the rain today but my daughter has tonsilitis (sp) and a cold and I think that I may be catching it. but tomorrow I will venture out.

The next few weeeks will be a bit of a test mentally for me I reckon, I just hope that my legs can keep going. About a year ago I dramatically failed and was forced to "retire" from the C25K with a back injury, during week 6.
I think that a combination of the wrong running trainers, accompanied by a bad pair of casual flat soled trainers, caused my back injury and it was only around March time when I had recovered enough to move around easier. I was too embarrassed to have a proper gait analysis done, so read up on the common types of running style and kind of diagnosed my own running style. I done the "wet foot" paper test, and saw that I have quite a high instep and studied loads of my pairs of shoes to notice that I underpronate (supinate). Since then I have sold my trainers from last year and have started running in New Balance 1063's and have Adidas Response Cushion trainers for knocking about in. I have noticed a massive difference and "touch wood" my back problem hasn't reared it's ugly head. I will however, go for a proper gait analysis when my confidence has developed more.

What else might have been a contributing factor to me failing last year was overdoing it. I didn't really follow the plan that well and thought that I could skip a few weeks and I think I pushed myself too hard.

Anyway, enough of this drivel, week 6 starts tomorrow and I am really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
W2D1 today. Not really feeling my best today, but feel a lot better for getting out. Ankle still playing up, so I am definitely getting my gait analysed on Wednesday.

Vicki, well done on getting out yesterday. Hope week six goes well. :)

41 - 60 of 4180 Posts