Runners Forum banner

1561 - 1580 of 1582 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just thinkin about to get some energy booster supplements like caffeine pills to help weight loss. Looks like these will be good at Myprotein Codes. I've read that they can help in fat loss along with other nutrients like l-carnitine.
Have you heard of the low carb diet? Dr Michael Moseley (the BBC doctor) calls his version the Blood Sugar Diet.

I lost 20 lbs, very easily, in two months using it. You basically reduce your carbs, eat more fat (but don't kick the arse out of it) and it forces your body to burn fat as fuel. Which includes your body fat.

It's great for endurance athletes too.

Fat isn't the bad-boy people used to think it was; that's sugar and highly refined carbs.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I challenge myself to run 17:45 or better in the 5k during the month of October, 17:30 or better in November, and 17:15 or better in December.

I ran 17:59 in September.

And I challenge James RunSpoonRun to e-race me (even if I am the one behind at the moment)! :nuts:

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
And I challenge James RunSpoonRun to e-race me (even if I am the one behind at the moment)! :nuts:
Haha ok, you're on :d. Although I won't be running a 5K this month - I am doing the Great South Run on Sunday and then I'm having a week off! But I am planning to do some shorter track stuff ahead of a 10K at the end of November, so hopefully will be in good 5K shape... :cool:

Well done on the 17:44. Are these times usually solo time trials?

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Yay! :D

Thank you. I still have to catch you at 17:28 so hopefully we can race after I do that.
This is actually good motivation for me.

Almost all of those sub-20s are solo time trials. Maybe 5-10 are from 10k races and I think only one is from a 5,000m race.

Good luck for Sunday!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I watched the last 2 miles of the men's race. That was WINDY!
You had pretty strong splits, considering the conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
Yeah the wind was pretty brutal in the last two miles. At times it felt like I was being held in place lol. I’m pleased with how I held on, I deliberately kept a bit in the tank, and only dropped about 15s/mi. I passed loads of people while not being passed much myself. It’s a shame as I had one of those days where the legs feel great and I felt strong the whole way around. But happy given the conditions, and I know sub-60 will come.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I challenge myself to run 17:45 or better in the 5k during the month of October, 17:30 or better in November, and 17:15 or better in December.
I ran out of month. :notrust:
That was poor planning.

Anyway, the 17:15 for December is still on.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I challenge myself to run faster than 22:00 in my next parkrun- it should be well within my grasp. I had my first ever parkrun today- despite being a runner for six or seven years I'd never done a parkrun or races before- and enjoyed it, and came in at 22:40. I got there a bit late and started near the back, had to overtake a lot of people on the grass verge (think I annoyed one runner whilst weaving between people), and the course was very wet today. We had steady rain throughout last night and the old concrete track we were following has many potholes full of water to get your trainers soaked in :d Assuming that the weather will be better next weekend, and that I will get there a bit earlier and start nearer the front, 22:00 should definitely be doable.

It was a nice feeling being there; as expected from all I've read about them it was a fun event and I possibly got a bit carried away with my pace early on. In my solitary runs that have been all I've ever known, I virtually never push myself and when I sprint, or even run above my comfortable pace of 7:30/8:30 minute miles, it is for very short periods, so I was getting a bit ragged towards the end of the parkrun. I tried to sprint to catch someone 100m ahead of me, but though the legs were willing my stomach began heaving a bit with the exertion and I slowed to a plod for the final 200m. That'll teach me for being so lazy on my runs :p I finished 13th out of 88 runners though, and 3rd in my age group, so a pretty pleasing result!

By the way, I haven't posted on the forum for ages; I had forgotten my password and was too blind to see the link that appears each time you enter it incorrectly, letting you reset it, until today. If nothing else I will be posting here next week, all being well, to say whether or not I managed to meet my goal.

@Fulmar : Did you manage to meet your goal for 5k?

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
@Fulmar : Did you manage to meet your goal for 5k?
:tdown::asleep:

The old "life getting in the way" thing.
I am still training well though, but I haven't raced or even time-trialed yet this year.

Good luck with your challenge!
That was a very auspicious debut.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Cheers! As long as you are running well, that's the main thing. Finding a time to go for that goal can always wait a while, but feeling in good shape and enjoying the runs is the main thing.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Cheers! As long as you are running well, that's the main thing. Finding a time to go for that goal can always wait a while, but feeling in good shape and enjoying the runs is the main thing.
Thanks for that. :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,574
My challenge is to do 35 miles a week.
Quite a bit less than I used to do but hey ho...ces't la vie

·
Registered
340 Posts
I challenge myself to run faster than 22:00 in my next parkrun- it should be well within my grasp.
My second park run will have to wait; I just found out that my local park run is not on tomorrow because the site is flooded! Darn weather...Still, it might be just as well; I've felt down in the dumps all week and haven't been for a run, so might not have been at my best.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I know, it's probably a blessing in disguise. Just got to get my bum out of the door early in the mornings; it would be easier if we had some nice warm, bright spring mornings rather than drizzle and grey skies here in Yorkshire! Still, I happily splashed through mud and puddles last Saturday so I should probably just get myself out and do it whatever the weather. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well I finally managed to get to another park run, and had a good day. Last week was the first time it hadn't been cancelled due to being too wet since 31st March (there are still huge puddles on part of the course so we do an out-and-back to get to 5k rather than a full circuit), but I was too late preparing a loaf of bread for baking to go last week. I woke to beautiful warmth this morning, sunshine and clear skies here in Yorkshire, and was wondering as I jogged to the venue whether I might struggle in the heat; my legs were certainly feeling a bit sluggish.

However, as with the first park run I did, I found that my running form instinctively improved when we set off and having people around me seems to make me run more naturally and efficiently. Specifically, the trudging reliance on my lower legs that I habitually have when running alone was gone; I was using my hamstrings and glutes properly, springing along.

I tried to keep my pace moderate; I know I faded in the March one due to not being used to pushing myself at all. I've become far too lazy in my solitary runs and intend to improve my effort levels and frequency of runs. Something that will aid that greatly is simply eating better; my digestion suffers when I eat cakes and confectionary, so I'm just going to have to do what I've known for years I should be doing, and virtually cut them out of my diet so that I am in optimum health and not still sat on the loo when I want to be out the door in the morning! Losing a bit of weight would be nice too; I eat way more than I need and cutting out all the 'treats' (are they treats when you have them every day :d) and exercising that little bit more frequently should get me 5kg lighter within a few weeks.

I started a fair bit closer to the front today, so didn't have to overtake so many people as last time, and took my time over getting where I wanted to be. Once I was just behind some guys I felt were going at a decent pace, about half a mile into the run, I resisted the urge to overtake them so as not to get carried away, and stayed there until there was a bit less than a mile to go. I then began picking up the pace a bit, passing this group of three or four blokes and getting some distance between us. Soon I realised I wasn't quite as close to the finish as I had believed, and felt my will power flagging a bit. I mustered a little bit of effort to keep my pace from dropping too much, but I had been running marginally faster than the comfortable trot that I am used to and didn't want to push myself harder (I was getting a bit short of breath and real effort was starting to make my stomach uncomfortable). I was satisfied to come in 10th out of 98 runners, and finished in 21.30, an improvement of 1 minute 10 seconds over my first park run just over a month back (though a lot of this has to do with the improved weather).

My legs can definitely handle more, but my cardio is not good enough. I need to get my weight down a little, push myself occasionally in midweek runs and just eat better so that I am comfortable whenever I want to run.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Nice one!
From what I see with a training partner, if you are carrying excess weight, losing just 4-8 lbs could be enough for a sub 20.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Although I didn't set myself an express challenge last week, I wanted to improve my park run time further and did so, quite spectacularly in fact. A caveat is that I heard a fellow runner comment after crossing the line (presumably the owner of a Garmin watch or similar device) that it was slightly below 5k distance; presumably the discrepancy could either be down to them having taken a tighter line around the bends than the course measurer or due to an inaccuracy in their Garmin.

In any case, today was the first time for me that the weather had been dry enough to run the course in its intended manner, a full circuit of an airfield, as opposed to the previous occasions on which I had visited when we had done an out and back due to a colossal puddle at the north end of the course.

I've been eating healthier in general this week, and I did feel reasonably light upon waking this morning. I also tried to prepare last night at the gym by avoiding any heavy leg work and just having a 3 minute go on the treadmill (sort of a very brief interval training to perk my legs up). I say I've been eating healthier, though embarassingly my only entirely cake/sweet free day was yesterday (see my previous post for foolish ambitions of cakely abstinence). As a result, my digestive system was still under the effects of the few cake/sweet things I had been eating Monday to Thursday (damn ice cream vans and trip to the seaside putting temptation in my way), and so this morning I was, ah, indisposed in the bathroom for longer than I wished :embarrassed:. To be sure of getting to the course on time I decided to cycle.

This being the first time I was running the course in its intended state, I failed to get myself in the correct starting position, and was in fact not at the rear after the opening introduction by one of the volunteer stewards but at the front; we were running in the opposite direction to the one I was accustomed to. Right at the very front, alongside mostly club runners :worried:. I tried edging around the grass verge to get out of the way, but a few others bet me to it and so I had to start off at the front.

I was keen not to just be an obstacle that all the fast people had to skirt around, but at the same time was trying to keep to a pace that I felt I had been comfortable at in previous park runs. I managed this, and more than half a dozen people steadily passed me by around the 200m stage. I didn't mind that at all, but due to not having had a proper warm up by running from home, my form was poor, my legs felt leaden and I never found that spring in my step that I had so enjoyed in previous park runs. What's more, my breathing was quite laboured from the get go, and I don't think it ever eased. On the way there I had passed a dead rabbit; mid-race, my disgruntled imagination wondered whether it might have been a bad omen, me passing a normally fleet footed creature now brought to a deathly standstill :( (a moment's silence for the rabbit, if you will)

I was pleased with myself that I hung in and kept the effort going, because when I got to a stretch of the course that I recognised and realised we were only halfway, I was feeling so sluggish and uncomfortable that I had a nagging voice telling me to plod or even walk, yet I stuck in and kept a respectable pace up.

Over the last 50m or so I put a bit of an effort in and made a strong run over the line (it certainly couldn't be called a sprint but it wasn't very far off). I felt that despite not being an enjoyable run in a physical sense, I had shown more mental resolve than in previous runs. I was also tentatively confident that I had hung close enough to some of the faster runners to narrowly get a new PB. I've had a busy day so it was only about an hour ago that I checked the results and was surprised to see I had finished in 19:43! :nuts: That's 1:47 faster than last week!

I do wonder if the course might be slightly shorter than it should be, or whether starting at the front helped me a lot, and I wonder if despite not getting me warmed up for the run, cycling may have saved me some energy that I didn't have in previous weeks. Having mused on the strangeness of having made such a big leap I've checked a couple of runners who got PBs today, and they didn't make huge leaps from their previous times, so perhaps it really was just being at the front that helped a lot.

Whatever the cause, I now have a rather good time, by my previous standards, to beat in future weeks. I might not be running it next week because of other commitments, but in the meantime I intend to improve my diet and get my weight down a bit, plus run more often. The latter is something that has fallen by the wayside over the last month due to me buying a bicycle.

So, future challenge; within the next month or so, do more park runs, and try to beat 19:43.

1561 - 1580 of 1582 Posts