Runners Forum banner

1581 - 1582 of 1582 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Well done on your new PB :tup:

Although I didn't set myself an express challenge last week, I wanted to improve my park run time further and did so, quite spectacularly in fact. A caveat is that I heard a fellow runner comment after crossing the line (presumably the owner of a Garmin watch or similar device) that it was slightly below 5k distance; presumably the discrepancy could either be down to them having taken a tighter line around the bends than the course measurer or due to an inaccuracy in their Garmin.
There's often differences in reported GPS distance on the same watch on the same course week on week. It doesn't mean the course is actually short. If you average out people's runs on Strava it should converge on the true distance. Some courses really are short, though.

At the end of the day it doesn't actually matter. Doing the same park run more than once is still a good performance indicator over time. If you want an actual 5K PB you can go and do a flat accurately measured road race, but you don't really need to.

1581 - 1582 of 1582 Posts