Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if people run when they are unfortunate enough to catch that horrible disease known as "the common cold". I started running last week and have found it enjoyable so far. Problem is last week I started feeling under the weather and eventually got a full blown cold. I haven't done anything so far this week as I've just felt run down all the time (this goes for all my usual exercises).

So does everyone take a break when they have the cold or carry on regardless?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
WingFinger said:
So does everyone take a break when they have the cold or carry on regardless?
Carry on; though not as far and not as fast.:embarrassed: It's just what I've always done.
This question is quite often asked on the forum, and you're bound to get some quite different responses, both for and (more usually) against running through any kind of illness. In the end, it all comes down to the individual to decide for themselves; but I believe that you'd have to be seriously ill do do yourself any lasting damage by running.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,185 Posts
Usually, when I get I cold, I get it really bad and can't do any exercise.

I hadn't had a cold in years until last spring, when I ended up having to take a week of work. I then got another one in the last week before a marathon.

I highly recommend Vicks First Defence to help you get over your cold. I've got a cold at the moment and feel as if its helping a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,640 Posts
It is a personal choice, but you could keep holding yourself back by not resting and wait for the cold to clear, this question has thrown open the doors to debate like pedestrian says but ultimately it is up to you.

Personally I would rest, this is no detriment to pedestrians comments. :d

TT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
my personal rule is unless it gets into my chest I keep running, though maybe ease up a bit - to be honest you'd often miss half the winter if you kept waiting to be 100% clear, especially the way bugs go round open plan offices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
calton1954 said:
my personal rule is unless it gets into my chest I keep running, though maybe ease up a bit - to be honest you'd often miss half the winter if you kept waiting to be 100% clear, especially the way bugs go round open plan offices.

I've always found that a run enables me to get rid of more of the gunk from my chest, than just sitting at home being miserable. Not running just magnifies the misery, in fact. :(
I get the distinct impression that a majority of people are dominated by over-caution: not willing to get out there (or as is often the case; get on the nearest cozy treadmill) at all unless they're 100%. This applies to minor injuries as well as viral infections. unfortunately, these days, this attitude is all too easily backed-up by being able to call upon the advice of people "like us". Hence: "... I got this sniffle/niggle, and I asked those experts on the forum what I should do: so I'm staying in bed for a month and putting my trainers on eBay..."
*sigh*:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
I generally feel much better after I've been out with a cold, manage to 'get rid' of a load of it on the way around. Unless ofcourse I feel really rotten but at that point I'm sure the option wether to run or not is obvious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,640 Posts
pedestrian said:
I've always found that a run enables me to get rid of more of the gunk from my chest, than just sitting at home being miserable. Not running just magnifies the misery, in fact. :(
I get the distinct impression that a majority of people are dominated by over-caution: not willing to get out there (or as is often the case; get on the nearest cozy treadmill) at all unless they're 100%. This applies to minor injuries as well as viral infections. unfortunately, these days, this attitude is all too easily backed-up by being able to call upon the advice of people "like us". Hence: "... I got this sniffle/niggle, and I asked those experts on the forum what I should do: so I'm staying in bed for a month and putting my trainers on eBay..."
*sigh*:(

your right pedestrian none of us are Doctors?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
Granty said:
I manage to 'get rid' of a load of it on the way around.
Breakfast anyone........................;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,089 Posts
I'd just say use some common sense, you'll know if you feel well enough to run! 99% of the time when I have a cold I'll still go out, and feel better for it. On the 1% of times I don't go out, it's usually because I'm spending most of my time ill in bed and my body's telling me to do nothing but rest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
twinkle toes said:
your right pedestrian none of us are Doctors?
I think that some of the "beginners" maybe give us credit for having expertise and knowledge than we perhaps don't deserve... and quite often a request for advice brings forth such conflicting opinions and advice as to leave the question unanswered. :embarrassed:

Advice is generally derived from experience, and considering the widely differing experiences of the forum members, there's always going to be a certain amount of conflict I'm afraid. :(


...Er... ARE any of us doctors?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pedestrian said:
I've always found that a run enables me to get rid of more of the gunk from my chest, than just sitting at home being miserable. Not running just magnifies the misery, in fact. :(
I get the distinct impression that a majority of people are dominated by over-caution: not willing to get out there (or as is often the case; get on the nearest cozy treadmill) at all unless they're 100%. This applies to minor injuries as well as viral infections. unfortunately, these days, this attitude is all too easily backed-up by being able to call upon the advice of people "like us". Hence: "... I got this sniffle/niggle, and I asked those experts on the forum what I should do: so I'm staying in bed for a month and putting my trainers on eBay..."
*sigh*:(
Christ almighty, I'm sorry I asked.:confused:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,089 Posts
Lol, don't worry wingfinger... all pedestrian is trying to say (I think) is that it's all too easy to wrap ourselves up in cotton wool. Asking for advice from fellow runners is great great start, but ultimately nobody knows what suits you best better than you.

If you take a look at his profile you'll see some pretty fantastic PB's, and I'd imagine he didn't get them by staying at home if he wasn't feeling his best.

Perhaps it depends what you want from your running? If you want to improve as much as possible and become the best runner you can be, then you have to be willing to push yourself to the limits. If running is more a means of keeping fit or losing weight to you, then by playing it safe there's less chance of your cold getting worse, but your running fitness won't improve as much as it could had you carried on regardless.

That's my 2p's worth anyway, and my apologies pedestrian if i'm misinterpreting what you've said or I'm putting words in your mouth!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Lol, don't worry wingfinger... all pedestrian is trying to say (I think) is that it's all too easy to wrap ourselves up in cotton wool. Asking for advice from fellow runners is great great start, but ultimately nobody knows what suits you best better than you.

If you take a look at his profile you'll see some pretty fantastic PB's, and I'd imagine he didn't get them by staying at home if he wasn't feeling his best.

Perhaps it depends what you want from your running? If you want to improve as much as possible and become the best runner you can be, then you have to be willing to push yourself to the limits. If running is more a means of keeping fit or losing weight to you, then by playing it safe there's less chance of your cold getting worse, but your running fitness won't improve as much as it could had you carried on regardless.

That's my 2p's worth anyway, and my apologies pedestrian if i'm misinterpreting what you've said or I'm putting words in your mouth!
Nail on the headski, Richard! :d A fine interpretation. You seem to have a certain knack for getting into the heads of we forumites. You sure you're not a "shrink" or something?:huh:

... Or at least a diplomat? :d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
richardsimkiss said:
Lol, don't worry wingfinger... all pedestrian is trying to say (I think) is that it's all too easy to wrap ourselves up in cotton wool. Asking for advice from fellow runners is great great start, but ultimately nobody knows what suits you best better than you.

If you take a look at his profile you'll see some pretty fantastic PB's, and I'd imagine he didn't get them by staying at home if he wasn't feeling his best.

Perhaps it depends what you want from your running? If you want to improve as much as possible and become the best runner you can be, then you have to be willing to push yourself to the limits. If running is more a means of keeping fit or losing weight to you, then by playing it safe there's less chance of your cold getting worse, but your running fitness won't improve as much as it could had you carried on regardless.

That's my 2p's worth anyway, and my apologies pedestrian if i'm misinterpreting what you've said or I'm putting words in your mouth!
I don't think I'll ever really get to the stage of running races etc, I'd just like to look as though I haven't after only running for two mins.:embarrassed:

I seem to be really prone to colds and such and have had a very nasty one and a milder one this winter. I am still doing that beginner program thing that was given to me but had to miss a few days.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,089 Posts
I used to suffer with colds all year round, I swear! Since starting to run my health has picked up no end, and although I do still get the odd cold, its one or two a year that last a few days rather than non stop sniffling.

Hopefully it'll bring the same benefits for you :) Oooh, and you may be surprised, I reckon you'll end up entering a local event sooner or later ;)
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top