Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing sit ups as part of my trainning, but with loads of them around, which one get the best results?
I'm doing the bog standard sit up, 5x20 reps coupled with legs rasied at a right angle 3x20

Your thoughts as always

stupot

·
Registered
104 Posts
As an alternative to a sit up have you heard of the plank?

THE PLANK

Great for core strength and definition

Lowdown The basic plank is a great way of engaging the core stomach muscles and getting the trunk area into shape quickly. It’s also another exercise that you can easily modify.

To get the basic position, lie face down and place forearms flat on the floor, and with your palms push your body up with either your knees or your feet still in contact with the floor. Raising up on to your feet is obviously the more difficult version, but if you raise on to your knees it may help you to get a feeling for the exercise to start off with. Squeeze your bottom muscles tightly to support your back. If you are in the full position, with your feet in contact, your hips will be raised off the ground so that the front of your body is parallel to the ground. Hold for 30 seconds. Don’t lower your head; keep it in line with your back. To make this exercise harder, once you are in plank position, you can raise alternate feet and hold each for five seconds.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Plank?

everest2005 said:
As an alternative to a sit up have you heard of the plank?
Thanks a new one on me, I'll give it a shot though. Looks a little complicated, or am I being a plank? Sorry:rolleyes:

Stu

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sit ups

Hi Evee,
Yes I think it has benifts for running, although I'm not too well up on the core stability thing, I am much stronger through the mid section.
I've encorporated situps into my training programe. I'm just after new ideas for them as doing the same ones does get boaring!! :rolleyes:

Stupot

·
Registered
9 Posts
The best situp to do and is what we do in the army. Kneeds bent with ankles no more than 3 centimetre apart. Cross your arms with your fingers in your neck/shoulder crease. Keep your elbows to your chest and without lifting you legs raise and lower your body.

·
Registered
244 Posts
soldier said:
The best situp to do and is what we do in the army. Kneeds bent with ankles no more than 3 centimetre apart. Cross your arms with your fingers in your neck/shoulder crease. Keep your elbows to your chest and without lifting you legs raise and lower your body.
that's exactly the way I was shown how to do them by my PE teacher...... wish I'd have kept doing them for all those years though!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
hammerite said:
that's exactly the way I was shown how to do them by my PE teacher...... wish I'd have kept doing them for all those years though!!
Its so different to all the other types of situps! it is alot lot harder!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
soldier said:
Its so different to all the other types of situps! it is alot lot harder!
Cheers for that.
My god they are a lot harder!!!! Next time I won't ask!! :d

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can do loads of the other types of situps, but when i went with army for the first time and they told us how to do them properly I really struggled.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
soldier said:
I can do loads of the other types of situps, but when i went with army for the first time and they told us how to do them properly I really struggled.
Which other one do they have you doing?? I though that one would be enough after my attempts. :embarrassed:

·
Registered
9 Posts
stupot said:
Which other one do they have you doing?? I though that one would be enough after my attempts. :embarrassed:
Sorry, i meant - Before I went in the army i trained doing other types. Since i have gone in they have showed me that way and now thats the only way I do them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts