Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When: Saturday 10th January 2009
Where: Holyrood Park, Edinburgh
How Far: 5k.

Info from the website:
Bupa Great Winter Run
The popular Bupa Great Winter Run takes place on Saturday 10th January 2009 in the beautiful surroundings of Holyrood Park in Edinburgh.

This is a 5km course for runners of all abilities aged 14 and over.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just found out if I had signed up to the Great Edinburgh Run 10k I would have got a £5 discount if I signed up for the 5k at the same time! Doh!!!

O.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm so disappointed, was really looking forward to this as it's only 10 mins walk from my house and on my usual training route, sadly I'm going skiing that day. Flight is at 10:40 so i'm not going to be able to do it:(

Will definately do the 10K in May though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Its not worth it really. 5K is a warm up jog and not worth paying 19 pounds entry fee. The Edinburgh half marathon was only about 24 pounds!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Its not worth it really. 5K is a warm up jog and not worth paying 19 pounds entry fee. The Edinburgh half marathon was only about 24 pounds!

Not if you race it properly. I actually find 5ks tougher than 10ks and half marathons, because you are essentially sprinting most of it and there is no opportunity to take it easy or make up lost time.

Also, for some people, completing 5k is a big accomplishment, so don't belittle it as a distance :p

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im looking forward to getting a new PB :) Never ran 5k on an official time so will be interesting. I think the 5k will be a tough race and fair enough £19 (£17 if you get discount) is a bit steep for 20 - 30min run but hey, its a bit of fun and should be a good race.

O.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Not if you race it properly. I actually find 5ks tougher than 10ks and half marathons, because you are essentially sprinting most of it and there is no opportunity to take it easy or make up lost time.

Also, for some people, completing 5k is a big accomplishment, so don't belittle it as a distance :p
Having done this one before I assure you there is part of it you certainly wouldn't be sprinting ! Those familiar with Holyrood Park will understand. I'll probably do it again as it was quite enjoyable 2 years ago, although challenging if you're looking for a good time.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts

I agree with you on both points, JB. I remember how chuffed and tired I was after my first 5km.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wasnt trying to belittle anyone, just saying that it isnt really a challenge in terms of distance, and 19 pounds is a lot of money to pay for a 20 minute run. I go much further in an average training run 2 or 3 times a week.

Ach, it is only in January anyway, so I may well enter nearer the time. I take it some of the entrance fee goes to charity?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts