Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that every sport has its Holy Grail. In the martial arts it’s the coveted black belt; swimming it’s the mile. What is the running Holy Grail? What does the beginner aspire to? Is it the marathon, or do we all have our own personal Holy Grail? Mine is to be able to run and run and run. I don’t care how far or how fast.:d

What was your target when you started out on the running path? Is it the same now or has it changed?

I’ve exceeded my initial goals in my other two chosen activities; I hope I can do the same with my running.:)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Guess it depends on your chosen discipline. There are several distinct types of running. I would say for distance it is probably the marathon, but the beauty of this sport is you can keep changing the goal.

When I started it was to run at all, then for 30 min continuously and now...

...watch this space.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I've achieve my first goal already, being able to run to the bridge on the local trail way. I did it tonight by jogging for 9 minutes instead of my usual 3 or 4, I'm still amazed I managed it. My next goal to is to be able to run the same distance regularly and then eventually jog back too.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Liz3yy said:
I've achieve my first goal already, being able to run to the bridge on the local trail way. I did it tonight by jogging for 9 minutes instead of my usual 3 or 4, I'm still amazed I managed it. My next goal to is to be able to run the same distance regularly and then eventually jog back too.
Well done Liz3yy. Great feeling isn't it. Good luck on reaching your next goal.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Thanks :) I reackon I could have gone even further if my lungs werent bursting. How long does it take for your lungs to strengthen?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Liz3yy said:
Thanks :) I reackon I could have gone even further if my lungs werent bursting. How long does it take for your lungs to strengthen?

How long is a piece of string? I think the trick seems to be to build up a bit at a time. For example now you can run to the bridge, don't try to run further. Simply try to do the same again until you can do it comfortably, then go further.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hrun said:
How long is a piece of string? I think the trick seems to be to build up a bit at a time. For example now you can run to the bridge, don't try to run further. Simply try to do the same again until you can do it comfortably, then go further.
That makes a lot of sense, I'm keen to improve but not to push it too hard.

Watch this space.......:)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
zanshin said:
It seems that every sport has its Holy Grail. In the martial arts it’s the coveted black belt; swimming it’s the mile. What is the running Holy Grail? What does the beginner aspire to? Is it the marathon, or do we all have our own personal Holy Grail? Mine is to be able to run and run and run. I don’t care how far or how fast.:d

What was your target when you started out on the running path? Is it the same now or has it changed?

I’ve exceeded my initial goals in my other two chosen activities; I hope I can do the same with my running.:)

My target has got further away the closer I've got... it was a half marathon, then a marathon, then an ultra, and since I achieved one of them it's been The Comrades.

Comrades has been my Holy Grail for about 4 years now... hindered by problems during the build up races.
I think it might possibly be back on the agenda now... for 2010 (fingers crossed that the build up races go to plan) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Liz3yy - Well done you. That's a great achievement.

As for the Holy Grail....I think that will change from time to time. Currently my Holy Grail is to put my new shoes on and go outside and run for a min :confused:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Throughout peoples running careers the Holy Grail has 2 ends;

1 - 4 minute mile

2 - Ultra-marathon/Triathlon

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Brilliant effort Liz3yy.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think there is a little bit of misinterpretation of what I originally meant. Goals are things that get you to your ultimate, or what you think is your ultimate, target. What I meant by “Holy Grail” is the first thing that you think of when embarking on your running (or any other activity) journey. For example in the martial arts usually the most obvious target is the black belt. However, martial arts students will try and reach the target with small bit sized goals of the coloured belts leading up to the ultimate goal of black belt. In swimming it is usually the mile; however, new swimmers look to a shorter distance and then gradually increase it to reach the full mile, but the mile is the initial goal.

I think what I meant was to see past the small goals and victories and admit to an ultimate outcome to your running. I do appreciate that, like Trinity who is going to do an ultra:eek:, when the ultimate is achieved you will probably realise that it is not the end of it but that you want to push the boundaries even more.

Having said all this, small goals reached on the way to the ultimate, should be recognised and applauded as one person’s small goal can be another person’s Holy Grail.

·
Registered
511 Posts
How long does it take for your lungs to strengthen?
With me it seems to be a cyclical thing, when I first started (only about 10 short weeks ago :eek: ) I needed a break when running a bath.

Then going through the walk-run-walk schedule I found that I was at first limited by being breathless, then after a while my breathing seemed to catch up and it would be my legs complaining, then the legs would be OK and my lungs would be lagging behind(literally sometimes).

I've also found that at certain points things just sometimes 'click' without noticing, for instance on Weds I went for a 4 mile 'jog/plod' and found that on the last few hundred yards I wasn't even out of breath (this wasn't a constant throughout the run I can assure you especially on the hills - any news on that house swap to the Fens yet?)., this stunned me to such a degree I had to drive the route again just to check the mileage was correct. :)

So if you just keep going you will find, almost without really noticing, that you are getting further and further, and its getting 'easier' and 'easier' to do what you thought impossible before.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
My 'Holy Grail' is, and always has been to win a race.

The feeling someone must get from being the first person to cross the finish line out of everyone that started must be truely fantastic. I wouldn't care what distance the race was - or how many people were racing (within reason) but to say you were the fastest person on that day, at that event would be simply awesome.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My 'Holy Grail' is, and always has been to win a race.

The feeling someone must get from being the first person to cross the finish line out of everyone that started must be truely fantastic. I wouldn't care what distance the race was - or how many people were racing (within reason) but to say you were the fastest person on that day, at that event would be simply awesome.

That's a really good point Richard. I initially thought "a bit cliche". But when I actually think about it, the possibilty of me crossing the line first in any race I compete in is pretty small. I can only imagine the euphoria of winning a race.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I think there is a little bit of misinterpretation of what I originally meant. Goals are things that get you to your ultimate, or what you think is your ultimate, target. What I meant by “Holy Grail” is the first thing that you think of when embarking on your running (or any other activity) journey. For example in the martial arts usually the most obvious target is the black belt. However, martial arts students will try and reach the target with small bit sized goals of the coloured belts leading up to the ultimate goal of black belt. In swimming it is usually the mile; however, new swimmers look to a shorter distance and then gradually increase it to reach the full mile, but the mile is the initial goal.

I think what I meant was to see past the small goals and victories and admit to an ultimate outcome to your running. I do appreciate that, like Trinity who is going to do an ultra:eek:, when the ultimate is achieved you will probably realise that it is not the end of it but that you want to push the boundaries even more.

Having said all this, small goals reached on the way to the ultimate, should be recognised and applauded as one person’s small goal can be another person’s Holy Grail.

I think we have understood. When I started I had no other ambition other than to run for 30 mins continuously. That seemed at the time to be less obtainable than Trinitys Ultra. Once I reached the holy grail of a 30 min run I then moved the goal. The small steps were to run 2 mins then 3 mins etc.

To refer to your karate analogy I bet not everyone starts aiming for a black belt and once you have one do you retire or is there another level you start aiming for.

Remember, one persons 5K is another persons Ultra.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I would say I have 3 holy grail ambitions:

1) to run an official half marathon in sub 1:25
2) to run an official marathon in sub 3 hours
3) to run a track mile in sub 5 minutes - don't care if it's official. Just want to know I can do it.

Right now I think I could do 2 and 3, but number 1 is my holy grail and I don't know if I will ever do it. I've never ran a single one off mile on a track, but have run a road mile (as part of a 5k) in 5:30 and a half mile road in 2.29, so I should in theory be able to run sub 5.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To refer to your karate analogy I bet not everyone starts aiming for a black belt and once you have one do you retire or is there another level you start aiming for.
You are right some people do start just to get fit. Once you achieve black belt you are a 1st Dan; you can actually go up to 10th dan in most martial arts, the founder of judo reached 12th dan!!! as the time between increases as you get higher it is usually older people who get high up the black belt grade. I am 52 this year and should be due for my 7th dan. However, i am not that bothered i am happy at the grade i am at.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts