Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 447 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so specific training hasn't started yet but my build up races (and thus training for) are as follows...

October 08 - Amsterdam marathon
December 08 - Hastings marathon
April 20th 09 - Boston marathon
April 26th 09 - London marathon
June 09 - Dartmoor Discovery ultra

I might slot in Draycot 35 mile ultra (March I think), and possibly something in July, mainly because running big miles on your own can be a bit lonely sometimes

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
definitely do draycote.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can you really do the Boston and London marathons (And travel) that close together?

Come to Rome on 22nd March instead! :)
Been there done that... ran Rome in 2005, had a bit of a mare :worried:
Mind the cobbles ;)

I reckon I can do it... it's good ultra training ;) I intend to race Boston and then see how I feel at London, run it a bit easier

My itinary is:
Friday 17th April - Fly to Boston
Monday 20th - Run Boston marathon
Wednesday 22nd - Fly out of US
Thursday 23rd - Arrive Heathrow
Friday 24th - Expo :)
Sunday 26th - Run London marathon
Monday 27th - Home

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why was Rome such a mare? (Everything I hear makes me feel that it is not good for a first marathon :()

What about jet lag?
You won't get jet lag going to Rome :d
Seriously, I've been to the US a few times before and jet lag won't be a problem by Monday in Boston, or by Sunday in London.

I did Rome over 3 years ago, when I was still chasing a 3.45. The cobbles put paid to that quite early on in the marathon and I guess I just got dispondent

It is a lovely race, lots to see en route. Just make sure you get to the start with lots of time to spare... it wasn't the best organised start that I've experienced, but then they may have improved it by now.
Don't worry... you'll have a great time :)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Ok, so specific training hasn't started yet but my build up races (and thus training for) are as follows...

I might slot in Draycot 35 mile ultra (March I think), and possibly something in July, mainly because running big miles on your own can be a bit lonely sometimes
Most people I know use half marathons as part of their training for the full distance, but using full marathons as training is downright impressive!

Hope the training and racing goes well.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts

Well I've not entered anything yet......BUT I AM ABOUT TO ENTER THE LONDON TO BRIGHTON RUN :worried::rolleyes::d

I don't expect to run many races as part of training.......maybe Bungay marathon in March '09.
I have lined up running partners though to do long runs with...they do a bit I do it all!!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Well I've not entered anything yet......BUT I AM ABOUT TO ENTER THE LONDON TO BRIGHTON RUN :worried::rolleyes::d
stop fannying about and get on with it :worried:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Crikey I feel tired reading Steve's itinarary ha ha let alone yours Trin.

sounds like we are going to get a fair few race reports, brillliiiiiiiaaaaaannnnnnt:d

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
does this mean you'll be running or marshalling then rich ?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
For the half... Would love to run it... though the club believes if I can run, then I can marshall, lol. So I'll either be marshalling or not there (there's a chance I'll be on an advanced motorists course :) ).

The draycote races... hmmmmmmm, I wouldn't imagine they wouldn't need quite as many marshalls, I certainly wouldn't be doing the ultra, I could contemplate the marathon but it just depends where I decide to focus my training efforts I guess - and at the moment the shorter distances are working a lot better for me!

1 - 20 of 447 Posts