Runners Forum banner

181 - 185 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Have now been on MAFF training for just over 2 weeks and here is Test 2 results.
My measured lap is 0.91 mile not 1 mile.

4 min WU

Lap 1 8:57
Lap 2 8:40
Lap 3 8:47

4 Min WD.

Average HR 139 BPM ( tad higher that I would have liked )

This is a decrease of time over the same 3x laps of 84 seconds

Beats per k over the full session decrease of 41 beats / KM.

Overall a nice steady improvement but as said before possibly just my fitness coming back.
Will keep you posted on next weeks Test 3. CAC

ps have lost 3KG in weight since start. From 86kg to 83KG in 3 weeks.

Reactions: winnet

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello there, is this thread still active?
My thanks to all those who posted here - I learnt a lot from you 👍
68 year old runner here. Started running in my sixties and just came across MAF training (never to late to learn I guess ;). I am putting my existing training plan aside (TrainAsONE – The AI Running App for Beginners to Elite ) and am thinking of doing 5 runs a week for the next few months, 3xone hour, one 90 min and one 2 hour run all at around MAF-10 if I can. (Currently doing around 20 miles a week).
Did my first test yesterday trying to keep below MAF HR as a trial and despite my worries that I would only be able to walk, could do most of the 4.5 miles without walking (except for two hills where my HR spiked and I had to walk).
Does my 5 day, 5.5 hour plan sound OK to build aerobic capacity?
Thanks in advance for feedback from experienced MAF runners out there.
Stay Safe!

·
Registered
29 Posts
@Shosholoza welcome to MAF! To be certain, what max heart rate are you using?

Building an aerobic base can take a relatively long time. The longer you can stay on your feet and remain under the max heart rate, the more impact you are having. You are right about hills, I was really suprised about the effect even a small gardient can have.

I have been using MAF for 7 months now. Pretty much all races are cancelled so it seemed a great time to do this. To be honest, I can't say I have seen a significant change. I too am over 65 and thats what I am concerned about. I just don't get the reasoning for adding another 10 MAF heart rate when you reach 65. My suspision is that there has not been a lot of research on the effect of MAF on older bodies. If I have been running for 40 years, maybe it takes much longer for my body to build an aerobic base using MAF tha someone of my age who has been running 10 years?

What I can say is that I can run a long way at my MAF heart rate without food as I am definitely not using my carbohydrate resources, but it takes a long time at a very slow pace!

Typically I might run 7 or 8 hours a week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@GraemeL Many thanks for picking up on this Graeme. I am much much less experienced compared to you - did my first HM some 5 years back.
I am trying to hover around 120 BPM if I can. Only done 2 runs so far and have to stay sharp to slow down for those HR spikes 😊

·
Registered
29 Posts
120! thats really good. I struggle to keep to 130. One consequence of this is that I had to change from a wrist based monitor to a chest strap. Its really cold putting the chest strap on early morning, brings all my wimpishness to the fore.

181 - 185 of 185 Posts