Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running the New Forest Marathon on 17 September and have made contact with the race organiser to find out what energy drink will be available. I've been informed that there will be SIS available but probably only at one or two drinks stations towards the end. I'm really surprised about this - I would have thought, considering the distance involved, that these drinks would have been provided maybe at every other station (there are 11 of them). I really don't think it's sufficient as it stands. I'm not good with gels and was really hoping that I could run without having to carry anything at all - now it looks like I'll have to wear a drinks belt which is a real pain.

Any comments? :(

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I have run marathons in Europe where the drinks stations were every 5k!
You should only really need water in a race. Also you need to have experimented with the drinks beforehand.
I believe it's a two lap course so could you get someone to hand you a big bottle at half way perhaps? The Brooks hand held is ok to run with for long distances.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I seem to be developing the habit of carrying a bottle of lucozade in races - not sure when it started but I'm going to have to break the habit soon as I seem to end up carrying a full bottle most of the way!

If you are looking to take on energy drink then definitely agree you want it spread throughout the race, not just in the last few miles. However, I'd never do the camelbak or race belt thing (but I know people who do and I've been beaten by plenty!)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
As Hollywood I also carry Lucozade Sport, the pouch version, as water alone is not enough for me. Sports drinks can give you a kick and help replace salt loss.

Remember though it is possible to drink too much as well as too little.

·
Registered
419 Posts
steepler said:
At least UK races use drinks you can buy here. Berlin has a drink I've never heard of!
What are they serving in Berlin?

They served Extran in Holland - which is superb rocket fuel - really high energy stuff - only problem is that it's not isotonic so it needs something salty added (they supplied current buns for the purpose!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts