• No - it's worse than awful

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd not really heard of this one before.

But reading some of the comments have astounded me. Almost makes me want to pay 30 quid just to see it for myself.

Is it really as bad as they say it is?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I heard...

• The idea is nice - it's definitely a spectacular route!
  • The price is rather expensive - 30 quid - and it doesn't include chip timing (or in fact any timing at all unless you are in the first 100 people)
  • In the early years it was really badly organised - so much so that (allegedly) some of the major sponsors pulled out.
  • There are always problems with numbers, with water, with the finish, with toilets, with overcrowding, with race packs, with...
  • Last year was so bad that someone's even set up a site just for it http://www.british10kcomplaints.org - click on "Enter Here" at the bottom of the page and then read on through
  • There was also once some amazingly bad forum marketing work by a guy called "Steve Bond" - who really was quite an obvious plant on some other forum - you don't need to read much of this thread to get the gist of it - especially as some of the forumites he attacks are normally such nice friendly folk... http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?EN=2124&URN=6&UTN=9568&Events_Last=1&V=2&SP=588681270672638613402.
I don't know if it's that bad - the complaints are mainly about minor things... but the difference in comments I've seen about this run versus those for the other big London events (RaceForLife, FLM, RunLondon, etc) is really startling.

Update - actually on rereading some of the comments on the complaints site... I think it probably is that bad...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
£30 for a 10k is insane!
It got no end of bad press last year. If you lived within the M25 you had to pick up your number as they refused to post last year!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have no experience of this event, and tend to agree with Chrisity that we should always support our local events... also £30 is v expensive.....

I can't believe how bad the comments are though..... don't see why anyone ould bother with this one.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was talking to a friend who ran it last year and she pretty much echoed the comments made about the bad organisation, the congestion and the fact that people didn't seem to start according to their predicted time.
She was less than impressed and is not running it this year for that reason.

Then again, any event that is large enough is going to get complaints. I remember reading some complaints about FLM this year. There will always be someone unhappy about something.

·
Registered
220 Posts
A65 - yes. But there's getting a few things wrong and there's taking the piss!

My complaint re FLM : water stations really need to be on both sides of the road, at least for the first 10 miles when congestion is worst

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've entered this one but I didn't realise there was a website solely for complaints until I'd already entered - it did worry somewhat. However, most of the complaints were relating to not receiving race numbers very late or not at all and I received mine about 6 weeks ago so the organisers may have taken the compaints on board. Also, another complaint was the cheap quality of the tee-shirt but this year I think it's really good quality. I'm not really one for these big races but I think it should be a pleasant day (sun's going to be out!) and the atmosphere should be good. I'm taking the whole family and spending the day there so fingers crossed it'll be much improved from last year. You can only hope can't you? If not then the organisers need shooting.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Stuart, I'd like to run this as I'm London based, but I refuse to pay £30+ for a 10k.

This year I ran the London Pride 10k in Victoria Park (£12 - August time) and can definitely recommend that though it didn't have much in the way of crowds. But it was well organised and you got a great goodie bag and bagels when you finished.

My missus got beaten in a sprint finish by a lad in gold hotpants too, much to my amusement!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I echo Steepler

I've never run it and have no desire to...much prefer smaller races in the country, which tend to be better organised and better value

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Out of interest, did anyone hear about the nike event thing that happened in at various places in London??... Something to do with short distance running, they had Qualifying days at various places where competitors were timed over 100m, then the top 500 of each sex went on to the final which was a 1km race (or time trial).

Sounded like a great laugh... they had music etc and on the qualifying days you could just turn up and do as many timed 100m sprints as you could fit in... I think the last qualifying male was around 17seconds??!?! And that's not even starting form standstill... you have a running start so are already in full flow when you cross the start line! Annoys me because although I'd consider myself to be a longer distance runner, i could manage well within 17seconds and would've faired/fared (spelling?!) even better on the 1km!

Not that i'd have won...lol... but had it been closer I'd have loved to have got involved!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts