Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got in from my first warm weather run of the year and it was testing to say the least:d Anyway lets hope its here to stay for a while, and i look forward to some more tough runs:cool:

P.S. Note to self "take a drink next time"

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Prec said:
Just got in from my first warm weather run of the year and it was testing to say the least:d Anyway lets hope its here to stay for a while, and i look forward to some more tough runs:cool:

P.S. Note to self "take a drink next time"
You may just wizz past me one day running around Leigh, I'm saying wizz past me as I'm sure you would. :)

My tough run is up Princess Avenue in Tyldesley, nearly got to the top last week but started laughing right near the end as we must have looked a sight.

How do you carry your water I'm looking for ideas?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
dimple said:
How about getting a belt for water holders to go in..if you don't like holding a bottle/water carrier that is

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dimple said:
You may just wizz past me one day running around Leigh, I'm saying wizz past me as I'm sure you would. :)

My tough run is up Princess Avenue in Tyldesley, nearly got to the top last week but started laughing right near the end as we must have looked a sight.

In the JJB near sainsburys they have some great water bottles for running, they are shaped to fit in your hand, think they are only a couple of pound to buy.

·
Registered
664 Posts
How long do folk feel their runs get before needing to take water with you ? I've only been running for just over 2 years and not done any races over 10k, which I don't need water during. Got up to 10 miles max so far in training (relaxed runs), and have usually taken a small bottle of water on those.

·
Registered
149 Posts
the warmer it gets the more I drink on a run, pretty basic I guess but if I don't drink a little and often on longer runs in the summer I struggle ( more than normal that is ) so even if I'm only doing a 5k training run I take a drink in one of those small 300ml loop bottles.

smithy

·
Registered
835 Posts
steepler said:
You don't need a drink if you are running for less than an hour really!
Quite agree with you steepler, I have really struggled today on my two runs, but I was never in need if any fluid. If you drink sensibly during the day, there is really no need for any additional top ups

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
calton1954 said:
How long do folk feel their runs get before needing to take water with you ? I've only been running for just over 2 years and not done any races over 10k, which I don't need water during. Got up to 10 miles max so far in training (relaxed runs), and have usually taken a small bottle of water on those.
Opinions vary in the extreme on this subject. I've come to think that there's a strong psychological element involved, with many people being influenced or even scared into believing all the hype we're constantly fed with regard to the "gallons" ( :rolleyes: ) of fluid which we're supposed to down each day.

You would have to be more or less dehydrated before you set off on a run if you found yourself really in desperate need of a drink on runs of less than an hour.

Personally, I'd never take a drink on a run unless I was certain that I was going to be out for 2 hours or more. And then only if the weather was exceptionally warm. I can never understand how anybody can become dehydrated after only running for 3 miles or less. View attachment 458 ... But that only serves to illustrate the diverse attitudes involved on this subject.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I know the conventional wisdom is that you don't need a drink if you're running for less than an hour, but if I try to run, or do any exercise, for more than just a few minutes without a drink, even in the winter, I often get a splitting headache. It's not that I'm dehydrated beforehand (I drink plenty of water) or that I sweat especially much. I think it's more to do with overheating (yes, even when running through a hard frost on a cold winter morning!)

It's clearly very much a personal thing. I envy those who can run for an hour without needing water, but since I'm not one of them, I have to take some with me. On my outdoor runs, I take one of those oval/doughnut shaped bottles. I find it fits my hand comfortably so I don't have to grip it, and it's easy to take regular sips from.

·
Registered
149 Posts
well, to avoid contention I agree with every one, but if it's hot psychologically I'm happier with a slug of water on a run even if it is only 5k.

smithy

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The temperature makes a big difference; if it's over 20c then I start to get thirsty after an hour or so.

Pondering strat for water stops on the next marathon; I don't want to stop at each one because that takes a lot off your time, and is hardly necessary. But if it's as warm as this morning, then I probably won't wait til halfway... Hmmm...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
pedestrian said:
I can never understand how anybody can become dehydrated after only running for 3 miles or less. View attachment 458 ... But that only serves to illustrate the diverse attitudes involved on this subject.
I never take water with me on a run but now it's hot i always have a drink after i run...

From my very scientific evience :p - i think it depends on how you run those three miles - and not just on the distance...

I did a 3.5 mile tempo run and had to have two glasses of cold juice + lemonade after i ran...

I did a 6.5 mile easy run and only needed one glass and was less dead-ed after...

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Make sure you're hydrated beforehand and you should be fine for most runs... I won't tend to carry water with me for runs shorter than 15miles unless it's very hot.

BPC... have you tried running with less layers on? just out of curiousity, but if you're finding you need to drink because you're overheating, you may find it much more comfortable to run with fewer garments :)

Regardless of everyones ideals on taking on water during training runs of varying distances, the difference it makes will be minor, by far the most important factor in my opinion is that you get out the door and do that run, whether you have a bottle of water in your hand or not! :d

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
BPC... have you tried running with less layers on? just out of curiousity, but if you're finding you need to drink because you're overheating, you may find it much more comfortable to run with fewer garments :)
I'd be arrested :p

Seriously, I was out running at dawn one morning back in Feb? March? when it was minus something stupid - crazy hard frost and after just a few minutes, I was really warm, just running in jogging bottoms and a t-shirt. I wasn't overheating that day, but I certainly wasn't cold. I overheat in swimming pools when everyone else is complaining that the water's too cold and I'll happily sit in short sleeves in the office too when others are moaning about their numb fingers and putting cardigans on.

Anyway, as long as I keep sipping water, I seem to be fine, though I certainly wouldn't even think about running on a really hot day.

Maybe it'll get better as I lose more of my built-in duvet :embarrassed:

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
steepler said:
You don't need a drink if you are running for less than an hour really!
I ran a 10km last night and was gasping for a drink by halfway! By the time I hit the 7km, I really had to slow down, because the heat was getting to me.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I think we all need to adjust to this warmer weather, it is hard going. I've just been out, and I don't get thirsty, it's just my throat that gets dry.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Revenged said:
I never take water with me on a run but now it's hot i always have a drink after i run...
Me too!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts