Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread about Silver Shadows got me thinking about my early 80s running wardrobe.

My first shoes were the excellent Silver Shadows. Then my wife bought me a pair of Adidas running shoes (can’t remember the model name but they were yellow, white and black) which set her back circa £80, which was a great deal of money in the early 80s.

My most memorable running vest and shorts was Ron Hill’s, high cut shorts and the bottom half of the vest was string.

For cold weather I had a Steve Ovett running suit.

I don’t bother now just have a pair of Dunlop shorts and a couple of Nike tops I bought in Florida. If it’s cold I put on a cagoule. However, I did splash out on a pair of Nike running tights (£30!!) that make me look like Max Wall.

As you can see I have gone backwards and don’t really bother much with the hi-tech trappings, even my shoes were a £20 pair of Reeboks from Freeport, Fleetwood.

What did you wear when you all took your first running steps? :d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I can hardly remember, it was that long ago... about 28 years ago in fact

I remember I had some bright red silky shorts (lycra wasn't invented yet ;) ), and a black running vest, I can't remember the brands but I looked everywhere for black shorts to match the top and couldn't find them for women.

I think I wore Reebok runners too. Then I saw some bright yellow runners advertised as the new thing (or latest technology as they would call it now) for £50, which was a lot for runners in those days, so they had to be good right ;) So I got a pair of them... mail order, no gait analysis malarky or proper fitting :confused:

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Doesn't that class as an aid?

Keeping the thread on track I remember hating running at school and thinking back it was because I had a cheap pair of trainers and was expected to run the block with no warm up which hurt my ankles.

I do remember cross country running which I prefered as the ground was soft but can't remember what I wore. I do remember the rubbish trainers though.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I loved running in my schooldays, and in fact it was one of the few things that my parents would spend money on for me :d I always used to get £40-£50 trainers, which was at lot at the time, especially for kids trainers! I did tend to wear them until they were falling apart though, lol.

After a fairly big break from my schooldays of running, my 'comeback' to the sport saw the use of a ventilated motocross T-shirt made of some kind of wicking material (which in hindsight was a stupid idea, because despite it's little ventilation holes, it weighed a tonne!), some 'SPECIAL OFFER' £3 shorts with lining from JJB, and a pair of Reebok Road Plus 3 Trainers, which were recommended by JJB, no gait analysis or proper fitment, and soon saw me sidelined with shin-splints :rolleyes:

Nowadays I can often be seen looking much more like a 'runner' with vests, gloves, windproof tops, leggings, running shorts, running socks and various other technical clothing...

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Nowadays I can often be seen looking much more like a 'runner' with vests, gloves, windproof tops, leggings, running shorts, running socks and various other technical clothing...
But can you run like a proper runner?? Sounds a touch over dressed too.

I used to wear my Skateboard shoes for running at PE, but when I got into running proper it was in at the deep end with a pair of Mizunos.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Squint said:
But can you run like a proper runner??
See, this is my fear. I have a horror of becoming one of those people (mostly with more money than sense, and there are a lot of them in the City, believe me ;)) who go out and buy all the top of the range equipment before they take up any sport or activity.

Like when you're skiing and you see someone who can barely stay upright, struggling with completely inappropriate, extremely expensive racing boots and skis and wearing uber-expensive ski gear. I really enjoy swooshing past them with my hire skis and gear from TKMaxx :p. I do have a half decent pair of boots, but I only bought them when I realised that I wasn't progressing as I could never get hire ones that fit properly. I do wish they weren't gold though :embarrassed:

Same with running gear - I'd rather go out and be inconspicuous in a t-shirt and jogging bottoms, than look like a bouncy tomato stuffed into proper running gear :eek:

So back to the original question, I started running in jogging bottoms and a t-shirt, though I did make sure I had decent shoes right from the start. I bought some knee-length running leggings and a couple of proper wicking tops, ready for the hot weather, only to injure myself the very next day :rolleyes: They've only had one outing so far, to do the Race for Life.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
bagpuddycat said:
... those people (mostly with more money than sense, and there are a lot of them in the City, believe me ;)) who go out and buy all the top of the range equipment before they take up any sport or activity.

I think the phrase is: "All the gear and no idea...":d

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
pedestrian said:
I think the phrase is: "All the gear and no idea...":d
I'm like that when I go shooting, got the fancy wellies the tweed jacket the breeks even the well trained gundog, ok I don't have a matched pair but I don't think even those could help.

Bagpuddy, the only people I have a wee chuckle to myself about when out running are thise ones who are clearly more interested in their looks before function. We've all seen them I'm sure out running and I use that term very loosely in a velour tracksuit stupid oversized sunglasses and bright white velcro trainers, they flounce along with not a hair out of place looking to see who is looking at them! But saying that fair play to them for trying! Makes those of us that can run look better. Tomorrow morning I'll be running from my daughters nursery to work in a cheap and cheery pair of shorts a freebie t-shirt and my expensive socks and trainers. I couldn't care less what I look like!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts