Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I've watched that first video before... and i get a confused message, towards the start they have a message scrolling across the screen saying 'notice how he lands mainly on the ball of the foot and the midsection' or something to that effect, and saying about the benefits of that style of running/footstriking.

Yet a few minutes into the video where he starts to pick up the pace a little you can see him heelstriking? not HEAVILY heelstriking, but certainly not forefoot striking as before? and exactly the same happens later on when they show a guy running across grass "notice how his foot strikes the ground...." then soon after you can see him heelstriking?

The more I've read up on the matter the more I believe that you shouldn't worry much about your footstrike, there's really not a great deal between lightly heelstriking and forefoot striking, and you should just run how you are comfortable. As long as you're not heavily heelstriking or tip-toeing around your entire runs you should'nt have too much of a problem! Afterall, there's world champions who forefoot strike, world champs who heelstrike, and even those who strike with the midfoot - what does that suggest to you?

Happy running people :)

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Yet a few minutes into the video where he starts to pick up the pace a little you can see him heelstriking? not HEAVILY heelstriking, but certainly not forefoot striking as before? and exactly the same happens later on when they show a guy running across grass "notice how his foot strikes the ground...." then soon after you can see him heelstriking?
I noticed the same thing and suspect that when going slower, the runner was able to give us an example of how to run by the books but then when going faster his natural technique came out.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
:d
I wonder if a coach has ever tried to correct that in her...

I know that Peter Coe used to work on every detail of Seb's technique - with great results.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Fulmar said:
:d
I wonder if a coach has ever tried to correct that in her...

I know that Peter Coe used to work on every detail of Seb's technique - with great results.

Paula?... If it 'aint broke...;)

Seb? wasn't he just so naturally gifted anyway?
I really can't decide whether running technique can be taught effectively. Sure, you can tell someone how their feet should hit the ground; or how they should carry their arms; or how they should breathe etc... But to try and actually concentrate on modifying an aspect of style when in an all-out effort situation? I really don't know if it can be done to an effective degree. :huh:

Just go and RUN. :d
(The most natural movement we can achieve?)...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts